Join now - be part of our community!

STR DN1060 AV Receiver - Google Cast Sound Field Issues

jojawha
Explorer

STR DN1060 AV Receiver - Google Cast Sound Field Issues

Hi,

Does anyone else have issues with choosing a Sound Field when using Google Cast. Player won't let me choose any mode other than A.F.D (if you click on any other mode it says NOT.USE on the receiver's display). There is no output to my Subwoofer either (this is only in Google Cast mode). With any other music source the receiver outputs low frequencies to my Subwoofer in A.F.D.

This has only been happening ever since the recent firmware update on 14.09.2016 (M29.R.0422)

104 REPLIES 104
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Yes but this has to be a mistake,  Sony don't benefit from doing this,  they've locked it to 2 channel but in every other source 2 channel includes the sub woofer if you have speakers set to small,  it's like they've locked the sound field but forgot to let the user choose small or large speakers,  those with large speakers won't be affected by this. 

profile.country.EE.title
Searching81
Explorer

The whole situation reflects extremely poorly on Sony, both their engineering/QA and their weak customer service, as demonstrated both here and when people have contacted them directly (e.g. send back the amp, it's a hardware fault!)

Once they updated the Google Cast code to work with multi-room cast, they disabled the sound field and retrospectively edited the manual to seem like this was the original intended behaviour. The most likely reason for needing to disable the soundfield would be because it introduces a delay when linked to other Cast points in a group, but there is a delay feature option built into group casting to deal with latency differences in equipment!

The other issue is they have chosen a bizarre mode to use as the locked soundfield... it's not pure stereo (it duplicates the stereo signal to the rear outputs, destroying the sound stage for properly recorded stereo music) and it ignores the large / small speaker setting in regards to the subwoofer output. The end result is horrid, terrible music quality.

If they are going to lock the soundfield, use some common sense and put it on true stereo (i.e. no rear speakers) with optional sub output as per usual amp setup. If they insist on having output from the rear speakers, a surround music mode would be better, at least then the output to the rear speakers would be trying to produce a listenable sound stage, not just blasting out the same as the fronts and making a mess.

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Absolutely spot on,  you know what really gets me though?  What really makes me tear my hair out?  I have the 860, no multi room,  they just broke mine for the fun of it. 

profile.country.RO.title
nicoman58
Explorer

absolutly right!

horiblle sound!!!!

guys from SONY YOU ARE FAR, FAR away!!!  FROM BEING WHAT YOU WANT TO BE!

dont be liars,thieves!!!!! the philosophy is not money money money!!!!

SHAME!!!! you distroyed  the prestige of mister  AKIO MORITA in the last 10 years!!!

SO SAD!!!!!!!

MR. MORITA SAID YOU HAVE TO BE A 'HI "COMPANY ....WHAT ARE YOU DOING????

IN THE LAST YEARS almoust all people I MET said sony NOW in audio is junk..AND NOT ONLY IN AUDIO...IN THE CAR.MOBILE AND TV DEPARTMENT(you buy lg oled.....so sad).AND THIS IS THE TRUTH

SONY WAS LIKE APPLE  OR BETTER IN THE PAST WHEN MR MORITA WAS ALIVE..

.NOW YOU ARE A MEDIOCRE COMPANY !!! AND YOUR GOAL IS CHEAP MATERIALS.AND QUALITIY...BUT HIGH PRICE!!!! AND FOOLING PEOPLE WITH FALSE ADVERTISING

I WILL SELL THIS RECEIVER...AND DONE WITH YOU...back to ONKYO & DENON (at least they dont lie like you!!! and have far better suport than you

profile.country.RO.title
nicoman58
Explorer

up up up...to see everyone...

dont try to mask the problem!!!! because is a big problem...and you made false advertising!!!

and you fouled people!!!!! dont be thieves and liars!!! REZOLVE THE ISSUE...professional way ..not like thieves

sorry but i'm very [Profanity Removed] off

i buyed from you a blueray player bd 6700 and this piece of juunk..total amount... almoust 800$...so please release a firmware that we can use soundfield again in chromecast

Note: Edited by Quinnicus to remove profanity.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @nicoman58

I have escalated your angry comments for Sony to handle.  There is nothing more we can do on these forums to help you.  However you swearing on the forums does not help things and then creates workload for me, due to editing your posts.  (I am purely a volunteer and Sony customer like you).  I do understand where you and others are coming from however and have tried my hardest to get this resolved - but cannot.

Sony Customer Relations should be in contact with you in due course. 

Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Thanks for your help Quinnicus,  it's appreciated. 

jojawha
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

I'm sure you are trying to help, but I find it hard to believe that you are just a Sony Customer like the rest of us. 10,143 Posts seems like a lot for a normal customer, and to be able to post in all different topics too. Surely you do not own every type of Sony Equipment ???

Customers are just frustrated and if the useless customer care or relations team from Sony contacts anyone, for all we know, they will only make the problem worse. Instead of spreading false information and updating manuals after products are released, they can put their time to better use fixing the problem.

I hope Sony does manage to fix this.

(By the time I posted this comment, your number of posts has already become 10144)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jojawha

I'll give you some background information :slight_smile:

I am currently unemployed (have been for a long time, except for a 9 month stint about a year ago).  Hence I have a load of time on my hands.  One might say that I should use this time to search for employment - that I do, but job prospects for me are low.

Anyhow, I got my first LCD/LED TV in 2011 (KDL-40NX723) and a STR-DH720 AV Receiver due to some money from my Nan (she died).  A few months later I purchased a PS3.  So in 2011/12 I found these Sony forums.  After lurking for awhile, someone posted requesting help - I though, I know that answer - posted back.  Over time I became familiar with Sony products and was 'invited' to the rank of 'Expert'.  This also gives me additional moderator privileges as well as direct communications with Sony Employees.

Along with this, Sony also provide some training on their new products that are released each year.  And then there is Google :slight_smile:  There is a wealth of information that can be searched for.  My field of interest is TV/Home Cinema and Audio.  I dont have much interest in photography, hence my knowledge on cameras is basically non-existant.

I also have a PS4 and and Xbox 360 :slight_smile:  But basically it comes down to this : Most products operate very similar from year to year.  Once you have the basics that is.

Anyway, thats basically my back story.  A customer, but a fan-boi as well.  But will do my best to tell Sony when there is a fault - but ultimately I can only do so much, due to not being an employee.

Manuals - Its been a pet peeve for me for ages - I have had a lot of discussions about this with Sony.  But ultimately Sony EU/UK has little control - it is Sony Japan where the engineers and developers are as well as the creators of the manuals, firmware and other things.

Edit : The KDL-40NX723 was eventually replaced with a KDL-42W807a, which has also been replaced with an Android TV (KD-55XD8577).  But I still have my orignal AV Reciever - It works to what I currently need, and dont have the ££ to replace anyhow !

profile.country.RO.title
nicoman58
Explorer

any updates?????????

come on ...this is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

wwwtf are you doing guys from sony it\QA customer suport department???????

are you sleeping in your pants?

guys there are alot of people who need an update to use soundfield in chromecast..not just 10 persons

and another one....

the problem with hdmi .........whwen you release a softwaware update forf  2.0a....HDR????????

FALSE ADVERTISING AGAIN....bought the receiver ...you didnt tell people that hdmi are only 4.2.2 chroma and 12 bit and not full hdr4k and full bandwith....

you are unbelievble..so much lies