SOLVED
profile.country.FR.title
maperri32
New

File format compatibility for Bravia TV through DLNA

Hi,

I just got a KDL-40HX800.TV.

It is great but I got a problem.

The Bravia TV is connected to my Ethernet local network. I could connect the KDL-40HX800 to my NAS that is DLNA compatible (Synology DS211j).

I could display jpeg photos and mp3 videos.

But I can't read photos under raw format Canon (.cr2) and AVI videos, although the Synology NAS is stated compatible with these formats.

So what are the file formats the Bravia TVs are ablet to read and display and play (photo, video, music)?

I could not find this information in the manual.

Many thanks

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.da_DK.title
VirtuRex
Visitor

I cannot get my KDL-32EX500 to find ANY files from my NetGear ReadyNas Duo.

No help in any forums.

I can play some files from my labtop with Windows 7.

But then again - whats the point when i have a DLNA certified NAS....

My next TV is a Samsung - that works perfectly

profile.country.en_GB.title
Farley1975
Visitor

I have a NAS (with DLNA inside it) but quickly gave up on trying to stream directly from it to my Bravia.  It just wont work and, while people here are saying Bravia's are rubbish for DLNA, remember that all TV brands will have similar problems since they all support a limited set of file formats, video codecs and audio codecs.  After much trial and error, I found the only way to stream using DLNA to your TV is to install a decent DLNA server on your PC.  It will read all your files from your NAS (and any other drives/computers on your home network) and stream them to your TV without any format problems since it will transcode them on the fly.  That's the big problem with NAS drives - no transcoding - so you will always get invalid format/codec problems.

profile.country.en_GB.title
traveltiger
Visitor

wetsleet

If you format your disk with exFAT it will support >4GB files when registered to the TV

Message was edited by: traveltiger

Message was edited by: traveltiger

profile.country.da_DK.title
VirtuRex
Visitor

FOUND A SOLUTION.

Convert files to MPEG-2

Just not good enought - try again Sony