Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Sound Bar

profile.country.en_GB.title
SRK1966
Visitor

Sony Sound Bar

I have a Bravia KDL-40EX403 and would like a Sony Sound Bar. Can anyone suggest the correct product

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
debsuz600
New

Hi SRK1966

I have just purchased a sound bar for my KDL-32CX523 Bravia.  Although you say you want a Sony product.  I purchased a Sharp 2:1 ch 100w with active subwoofer 100watts.  Because the Bravia has the ARC HDMI connector, the sound bar connects straight to this HDMI socket.   The Sony remote then controls the sound volume on the sound bar.  Its a remarkable improvement and I am highly impressed with it.  It was £109 from Amazon.  We did have to connect the X-Box directly to the Sub Woofer (amp) as the sound was clicky.  But it is now perfect.

Regards

Deb

nayan007
Visitor
creative-2008
Visitor

I'm trying to decide between a sound bar and a HDMI amp/speaker combo.

When you say that you can control the volume from the Sony remote, do you mean the remote is controlling the Sharp soundbar, or you are changing the volume of the Sony TV?

profile.country.GB.title
debsuz600
New

Hi sorry, if I was unclear, the technology is called ARC Audio Return Channel, as Sony Bravia TVs have this facility, if you connect another device which supports the same technology then the SONY remote controls the sound on the sound bar.  In other words, the TV detects the sound bar as an audio device and mutes the TV speakers.

Also as an addendum, if anyone else wants to purchase the same sound bar "HT-SL250" the audio settings of the TV have to be set to PCM.  I was watching, Iplayer, and the sound was fluttery.  Originally, I changed the audio to TV Speakers (which defeats the object of having the sound bar), also the Sony Blu-ray player was also affected in the same way.  Obviously, this was not acceptable, so fiddling with the Sony Bravia settings produced the following satisfying result.

I changed the Audio setting using the Settings menu, Audio OUT and found change from Digital to PCM (Linear downgrade). The fluttering sound disappeared.

The Sharp sound bar is only an alternative, to a surround sound system if you have the room and the money then i would go for a Sony system.  But for my budget and to avoid wires and speakers everywhere, this soundbar suits me and now that I have found out how to avoid the fluttering distortion, I am very pleased with this "alternative" product.

i hope this is a useful contribution to this community forum.

Message was edited by: debsuz600

Message was edited by: debsuz600