SOLVED
profile.country.FR.title
maperri32
New

File format compatibility for Bravia TV through DLNA

Hi,

I just got a KDL-40HX800.TV.

It is great but I got a problem.

The Bravia TV is connected to my Ethernet local network. I could connect the KDL-40HX800 to my NAS that is DLNA compatible (Synology DS211j).

I could display jpeg photos and mp3 videos.

But I can't read photos under raw format Canon (.cr2) and AVI videos, although the Synology NAS is stated compatible with these formats.

So what are the file formats the Bravia TVs are ablet to read and display and play (photo, video, music)?

I could not find this information in the manual.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Farley1975
Visitor

I have a NAS (with DLNA inside it) but quickly gave up on trying to stream directly from it to my Bravia.  It just wont work and, while people here are saying Bravia's are rubbish for DLNA, remember that all TV brands will have similar problems since they all support a limited set of file formats, video codecs and audio codecs.  After much trial and error, I found the only way to stream using DLNA to your TV is to install a decent DLNA server on your PC.  It will read all your files from your NAS (and any other drives/computers on your home network) and stream them to your TV without any format problems since it will transcode them on the fly.  That's the big problem with NAS drives - no transcoding - so you will always get invalid format/codec problems.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Catmambo
Contributor

Pretty sure it doesn't support  raw photos and with AVI's the TV doesn't support Divx over DLNA unfortunately.

I have a Synology NAS also, but end up streaming most of my content to the PS3 or Blu-ray as these offer slightly better compatibility.

Thanks

KDL-22PX300
Visitor

Give us Xvid support and we will be happy.

You did it for PS3.

Do all Sony DLNA certified models have the same video support standard - MPEG2.PS - AVCHD - MPEG4

Catmambo
Contributor

No they aren't always the same - something that we are addressing at the moment for future products hopefully. Unlikely products will be retroftted with new codecs I'm afraid. Unlike PS3 which is one device, testing and certification for the many different TV's and Blu-ray players in different territories would take up a massive amount of resouce which is currently deployed on 2011 & 2012 product development.

However I absolutely take onboard your points though.

Thanks

IdRatherBeSkiing
New

Not supporting .avi has caught me out. Very frustrating that I have 5 years worth of clips from my cannon that I'd hoped to stream to my EX503. Maybe I should have looked closer! I wonder if the samsung that I considered  did it? Any chance its likely to be supported in the future?

Catmambo
Contributor

Well I think it supports .avi, but thats simply the file wrapper or container. The critical part is what codec is used to encode the contents of the container and thats where there can be nuances which could mean that native playback is impossible. Then you need a DLNA media server like Serviio to re-encode the file formats on the fly to something compatible.

Are you streaming directly off a NAS or via your PC in which case you could try using Serviio to transcode your cannon clips.

Thanks

profile.country.da_DK.title
martinbangsoe
Visitor

Since buying my KDL46EX500 I have discovered that it indeed doesn't play XviD over DLNA (nor DivX for that matter, even though it's stated on the box).

I'm right now comtemplating whether I should get a refund or I should wait and see if the Linux folks will get this issue sorted with an unofficial firmware soon.

I just saw great offer on a Samsung UE46C6005 that plays AVI Xvid and MKV x264 (including separate subtitle files) via DLNA. It's a litte more expensive, but I might swap it for that come monday.

I tried using the Mezzmo DLNA server which can convert Xvid and everything else on the fly. That works fine with my EX500, but the re-encoded image could be a lot better. Don't think it's a solution I can live with.

Martin

profile.country.da_DK.title
martinbangsoe
Visitor

Today I finally got enough and returned my Bravia for a refund. While battling with the bad DLNA implementation of Sony and their lack of support of popular file formats I found out that what I should have bought in the first place was a Samsung UE46C6005. So today I got one, and it does it all: XviD, MKV h.264 etc. via DLNA including subtitle support. And it just works. No hazzle and a lot more responsive then the Bravia.

The Sony was very capable and a very, very good value for money. I just couldn't live with the limitations of the DLNA features. I was misled by the box and their website. What a shame. All it would take for Sony is to have a guy sit for a couple ofdays and add the codecs and fiddle with the Linux system on the device and the problem would be solved.

Martin

wetsleet
Visitor

that DLNA and DivX thing really makes me cross.

"Yeah, our TV supports DivX. And it has ethernet. Sure it connects to your networked media server via DLNA. See, its plastered all over the box."

So who would have guessed it doesn't read DivX over the network - I mean that would be the whole point, no?

What is the purpose in misleading customers - I simply don't get it. Don't they want repeat busines? Don't they want word of mouth referrals - positive ones, I mean?

It also has a USB socket - guess what, it only supports a file system which does not support files bigger than 4GB. To quote "Video applications ... easily exceed this limit. Larger files require another formatting type such as NTFS."

- sorry, what was the purpose of this device, oh yes, its filed under "TV & Home Cinema"

profile.country.nl_BE.title
phjanss55
New

@ Catmambo:

I am a big Sony fan and am seriously considering buying a new high-end Bravia TV later this year.

Amongst others I'd absolutely want to be able to stream the home videos (in their native mts format) that I recorded with my CX520VE Handycam, from a Synology NAS to my TV set. In addition it seems imperative that I can also stream media files in other formats such as DivX, XVid, and MKV with subtitles, from my NAS to the TV set.

Can you please give an update on the support for these formats via DLNA in the 2011 line-up? Particularly on the HX9 and HX8 series for this year? (not sure which exact model numbers to mention, given the differences between e.g. the EU and US).

Thanks

Philip