Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S5200 Blu-Ray Disk Freeze on Startup

SOLVED
BlueAstra2
Explorer

BDP-S5200 Blu-Ray Disk Freeze on Startup

I've had this player for about two years, latest firmware installed, connected by HDMI to a Sony TV. Infrequently at first, but now almost every time, it freezes when used with a Blu ray disk (not actually used it that much). If the disk is in at switch on, the title appears in the menu, but on selecting it the disk symbol rotates for a few seconds then freezes. If the player is empty and you insert the disk after switch on it again freezes on the disk symbol, before getting to the menu. There is no response from the remote or box buttons. A few power cycles sometimes gets it to work, but now even that doesn't seem to help. Anything to try before it goes out in the trash?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@BlueAstra2

Do you have a USB thumb Drive attached in the rear USB port? If so try clearing the BD Data.

Here's how...

1. Open the HOME menu on your BD Player and on the MOVIES menu scroll all the way to the top until you reach 'CLEAR BD DATA' select this and click OK on your remote control. All BD data will be cleared.

2. Now test if the issue remains

If that doesn't do the trick try doing a RESET of your BD Player, this cures most problems of this nature.

How to peform a Reset..

1. On the HOME menu of your BDP player scroll left until you reach the SETUP (Toolbox Icon) then scroll all the way down that list until you see 'RESETTING' 

2. Follow the on-screen prompts to reset your device. You can either reset individual features or select ALL settings. In this instance I would recommend that you reset ALL settings. Be aware that once reset has completed you will need to setup your bluray player again as if it were new though this won't happen until next time you turn your device on again. Resetting can solve lots of strange symptoms but it doesn't always solve them permanently!

Reset takes just a few seconds and will display a message saying 'RESET COMPLETE'

Note!

As a word of caution it is never recommended to leave a BD disc inside the player when you switch it off. Best practice is to remove any disc before shutting down. 

Come back if you need more help.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@BlueAstra2

Do you have a USB thumb Drive attached in the rear USB port? If so try clearing the BD Data.

Here's how...

1. Open the HOME menu on your BD Player and on the MOVIES menu scroll all the way to the top until you reach 'CLEAR BD DATA' select this and click OK on your remote control. All BD data will be cleared.

2. Now test if the issue remains

If that doesn't do the trick try doing a RESET of your BD Player, this cures most problems of this nature.

How to peform a Reset..

1. On the HOME menu of your BDP player scroll left until you reach the SETUP (Toolbox Icon) then scroll all the way down that list until you see 'RESETTING' 

2. Follow the on-screen prompts to reset your device. You can either reset individual features or select ALL settings. In this instance I would recommend that you reset ALL settings. Be aware that once reset has completed you will need to setup your bluray player again as if it were new though this won't happen until next time you turn your device on again. Resetting can solve lots of strange symptoms but it doesn't always solve them permanently!

Reset takes just a few seconds and will display a message saying 'RESET COMPLETE'

Note!

As a word of caution it is never recommended to leave a BD disc inside the player when you switch it off. Best practice is to remove any disc before shutting down. 

Come back if you need more help.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
BlueAstra2
Explorer

I don't have a memory stick in the player, but I tried the reset and the disk seems to work now. I'll give it a good exercise with different disks, but hopefully its done the trick. Thanks for your help.

Ps, why is it a bad idea to leave the disk in the player, even when it's off?

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@BlueAstra2

Great job, glad I was able to help! Perhaps you would be good enough to mark my post as the solution. Feel free to give kudos.

Regarding the other question about leaving a disc in your player, I've always removed them straight away as many of the devices I've owned over the years recommend doing this as 'best practice'. Until now I've never really questioned why and assume it has to do with wear & tear on the disc motor. However I've been Googling for some clarity on this for you and as yet can find no conclusive evidence to support this theory.

Maybe this advice is no longer justified, I guess you have to do what's right for you. It seems plenty of people leave discs in all the time from what I'm reading elsewhere. :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
pagan29
Explorer

any ideas how to do a reset if the remote isn't working either?

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Disconnect the unit from the main power supply and wait 5-10 minutes before restoring power. Your unit should then go through the initial setup sequence as if it were a new unit. You will then need to choose your preferred language etc...

This should reset the unit and hopefully allow communication from your remote. If the remote still does not operate check the batteries (you've probably done that though).

Good luck!

profile.country.GB.title
pagan29
Explorer

yeah tried changing batteries and still no joy, thanks tho, will keeo trying and if no joy send it in for a repair

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@pagan29

So did you try unplugging your unit in order to reset it? I gave instructions for this in my previous reply.

If none of the above works then yes.., send it in for repair. If it's under 12 months old you could ask your retailer to do this for you and if the repair is unsuccessful it's their duty to replace it under the warranty if you live in the UK.