Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Z-Series driver support for NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

profile.country.en_GB.title
mummybot
Visitor

Sony Vaio Z-Series driver support for NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

I purchased a Sony Vaio Z-Series notebook (model: VPCZ12X5E, graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, Windows 7 64bit) back in July of last year quickly followed by Adobe's new Creative Suite 5. Much to my horror, the NVIDIA driver which have GPU acceleration for CS 5 explicitly stated that it would not work on Sony Vaio laptops!

Six months later and visiting the NVIDIA driver site there have been some developments:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-260.99-whql-driver.html

On the Supported Products tab at the bottom it says:

Sony has joined the Verde program by supporting the following VAIO notebooks: Sony F Series with NVIDIA GeForce 310M and Sony F Series with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M. Other Sony VAIO notebooks are not supported at this time (please contact Sony for driver support).

As I am on a Z-Series this unfortunately doesn't cover me. Early in the piece I contacted Sony support and they said that they would log an issue and get back to me - I'm still waiting.

Does anyone have a Z-Series which they have successfully updated to the new drivers and how?

Does anyone know if the Z-Series "high-end business notebook" will ever be upgraded by Sony to the latest drivers?

Thanks,

Francis

Message was edited by: mummybot

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_IE.title
babamaal
New

The drivers aren't signed so they won't work unless you use the driver enforcement override. Without the override, Windows will revert to the standard SVGA drivers. This is why you can only access lower resolutions.

Personally I have had no trouble with the unsigned drivers and I have been able to use CUDA acceleration but this is very much at your own risk.

profile.country.en_GB.title
jackiebrown85
Visitor

I have vaio with nvidia 410M and my drivers out of date as well..I guess sony doesnt care anymore about drivers... well, next time I'll think twice before buying another sony and probably I wont buy...

profile.country.fr_FR.title
Schouffy
Visitor

Hello,

i am facing the same problem...

Recent games won't launch or will have bugs because of graphics drivers.

The link provided in a previous message seems nice, but it sounds complicated and risky (some people bricked their computer while doing the setup).... And anyway, the latest package still contains outdated drivers.

Is sony planning on releasing an update for the graphic drivers ? When you pretend to sell nvidia hardware you have to provide all the service and software associated...

Regards.

Jerome