Join now - be part of our community!

VPCZ12Z9E/X GForce GT 330M Up to date Graphics Drivers?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
spikedog
Visitor

VPCZ12Z9E/X GForce GT 330M Up to date Graphics Drivers?

Hi all,

I am trying to update the graphics drivers that came with my Sony Vaio VPCZ12Z9E/X when it was first purchased.

The drivers I currently have installed are as follows: 8.16.11.8880. Which are stamped 5/17/2010 14:03:30, over 5 months old at this point.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600).

No matter what driver I download from the NVidia website it says "This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware." I have tried the following versions:

260.89_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_whql

258.96_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_whql

257.21_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_whql

For a system of this spec the graphics performance I am getting is laughable and I can only assume it has something to do with the stock drivers I am stuck with, but nothing I have done thus far has helped with updating them.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be greatefully recieved.

Thanks,

- Adam (spikedog)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Adam,

Exactly what problems are you having with the current driver?

For notebooks, most manufacturers supply a modified driver to suit their notebook configuration.  This is particularly the case with the Vaio Z-Series where the brightness keys and the Speed/Stamina switching from/to nVidia from/to Intel are part of the driver.

You can only get a new nVidia produced driver to install on most notebooks by modifying the installer .INF file, for background have a read here:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

but I would wait until Sony releases another custom driver or you may find that your Vaio will not function correctly or overheats as you require a custom Sony driver.

I think Sony will only update a driver if the old one is causing some problems or some new functionality is included in the driver release - not just to 'keep up with the Jones's' as new releases appear almost weekly.  If you are having a specific problem, let Sony Support know.

:neutral:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Adam,

Exactly what problems are you having with the current driver?

For notebooks, most manufacturers supply a modified driver to suit their notebook configuration.  This is particularly the case with the Vaio Z-Series where the brightness keys and the Speed/Stamina switching from/to nVidia from/to Intel are part of the driver.

You can only get a new nVidia produced driver to install on most notebooks by modifying the installer .INF file, for background have a read here:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

but I would wait until Sony releases another custom driver or you may find that your Vaio will not function correctly or overheats as you require a custom Sony driver.

I think Sony will only update a driver if the old one is causing some problems or some new functionality is included in the driver release - not just to 'keep up with the Jones's' as new releases appear almost weekly.  If you are having a specific problem, let Sony Support know.

:neutral:

profile.country.sv_SE.title
RubberD
Visitor

I'm having a similar problem. I got the VPCZ13M9E/B GT 330M (released on the EU market 30/9-2010).

Can't even start some games which had thier launch after Sony version of the nvidia drivers (which is from this spring). New games simply require a more fresh driver.

Does Sony refound money spent on games unplayable on thier laptops? :slight_smile:

Will new games be playable on Sony laptops at all in the future? :wink:

huminne87
Visitor

So we've already talked about the Z13, the Z12 and now I'll add the Z11 to this.

My driver is 188.80 (I suspect that all of yours are too).

I'm complaining about business software, not games.

Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (OK, so I'm a cheapskate) says the graphics drivers are incompatible.  It works, but I can't even preview in real time reliably (preview picture comes to a stop after 12 minutes whilst the sound and timeline markers continue to move, and when I stop the preview it jumps to the current cursor position).

Danuisoft Video Converter says that the drivers are incompatible with CUDA (GT330M is a CUDA chipset, and the point of the CUDA chipset is that software can make use of the extra processing power) so a 57minute video file takes 57 mins to convert instead of about 15mins with CUDA in use.

I know I can't install any other driver apart from the Sony one.  I just hope that Sony is preparing a new driver that solves some of these problems.  After all, I bought this laptop to do some work, not just to look at (Ok Ok it is beautiful)!  How do we get Sony to take notice?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

There are slightly newer 32 & 64-bit versions of the nVidia driver (NVidia/Sony Version 190.24 dated 12/10/2010) available on the download page for the Z13Z9E here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VPCZ13Z9E_X

:thinking:

aastevens
Visitor

Just let you know that updating only for purpose is a bad policy, since, although it may seem most weekly updates are nonsense, yet may containg minor bugfixes or other characteristics in the backgroud.

Given the more open context in the drivers field nowadays and the software itself, Sony should care a bit more about its upgrading system.

profile.country.fr_FR.title
Schouffy
Visitor

Hello,

i am facing the same problem...

Recent games won't launch or will have bugs because of graphics drivers.

Is sony planning on releasing an update for the graphic drivers ? When you pretend to sell nvidia hardware you have to provide all the service and software associated... Maybe not follow each release from nvidia, but one update every 3 months doesn't seem too much to ask...

Regards.

Jerome