Join now - be part of our community!

PCMCIA recognition problem

NovaScotia
Visitor

PCMCIA recognition problem

I have an FX505 since new, and have used pcmcia wireless card in the past. I now want to install a USB2.0 pcmcia card, but the computer does not recognise it - no beeps, no references in Device Manager etc.

The computer runs on XP with SP1. The drivers should be found automatically, if the device is recognised, but I have also loaded the drivers manually, to no effect.

I have tried another pcmcia card (not the wireless card) but nothing happens with this either. This is a worry because it suggests the harware on the computer is not working.

The pcmcia USB2.0 card has already been replaced as the supplier assumed that it was broken, but it is unlikely that two are broken. (it is a Belkin card)

Could there be another problem before I consider the pcmcia hardware is defunct (there are two receptors so it seems a bit unlikely), and is there any way that I can check the hardware.

I have deleted and replaced the drivers but this made no difference.

I have updated the bios from Sony website and this has made no difference.

Thanks for any help

4 REPLIES 4
isandre
Visitor

Upgrade to XP SP2

NovaScotia
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I have upgraded to SP2 a few hours before your post. Unfortunately it makes no difference.

Is there any way that I can check whether the slots are working - other cards put into the slots do not work, but I do not think the slots are the issue and need to exclude them. (They did work in the past)

Secondly I am reading about pcmcia issues to do with IRQ conflicts or problems with the pcmcia.sys file. Could these cause the device not to be recognised at all ? And is there a solution ?

Thanks

isandre
Visitor

Try to install the pcmcia usb 2.0 software first . Then restart xp and put the pcmcia into the slot.