Join now - be part of our community!

pcg-7z1l FN key doesnot work

profile.country.en_GB.title
lidaqi555
Visitor

pcg-7z1l FN key doesnot work

Hello,

My SONY pcg-7z1l FN key doesnot work, I use windows XP, what driver should I install and where can I download it?

Is there another way to adjust the brightness for my screen without using the FN key?

Thanks very much.

4 REPLIES 4
firionicable
Visitor

You don't have to install any drivers for FN key to work. It is a key that associates with any other key like when you want to use the Print Screen button, you have to hold down the FN button then the Print Screen button to work. Same with other keys. With regards to the brightness of your screen, you can change it by clicking the battery logo in your task bar.  Cheers!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

firionicable wrote:

You don't have to install any drivers for FN key to work. It is a key that associates with any other key like when you want to use the Print Screen button, you have to hold down the FN button then the Print Screen button to work. Same with other keys.

@ firionicable,

Please stop posting such nonsense! You obviously know little about computers and nothing about Vaios. Your posts are causing nothing but confusion.

Hi lidaqi555,

You are quoting the chassis number. Have a look on the screen surround or above the keyboard for the product number – you may find that this is VGN-NRxxx.

If so the original utilities that control the Fn key functions are not available for XP.

To manually adjust the screen brightness right click the battery icon in the system tray (if it is there) and select ‘Edit/Create profile. Under the profile you are using expand LCD Video and double click LCD brightness – select the level you require, exit and save.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
lidaqi555
Visitor

Thank you Rich,

I've found my model is VGN-NR160E, and I've downloaded the drivers under Notebook Control and Utilities.

Also i've downloaded drivers under System Components on SONY USA website, because I cannot find my model in this website.

I installed all of them. It ended up only FN+F2,F3,F4 are fixed, but there's still nothing going on when i press

F5 and F6.

Thanks for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi lidaqi555,

USA models are not supported on the European site hence you could not find the VGN-NR160E. It seems that the USA provides more support for XP on the NR series than the European models but they do state that you may experience limited functionality e.g. “Some function keys may not work correctly.” – Plus a number of other issues...

As this model was designed for Vista and Sony have provided only limited support for XP I doubt that unless there is a third party application out there you will be able to control brightness with Fn+F key. As far as I know manual adjustment, reverting to Vista or upgrading to WIN7 are the options.

But there again ‘firionicable’, having a vast knowledge of Vaios, may be able to advise further:smileywink:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat