Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Recovery CD

profile.country.tr_TR.title
incognito2000
Visitor

VAIO Recovery CD

Hi,

I have a VAIO VPCEB1Z1E laptop. I deleted the complete hard drive and installed a new OS after I bought my computer 2 years ago. Now, I would like to restore my computer to factory settings, but I do not have Recovery CDs.

One of my friends has the same model (VPCEB1Z1E) laptop. My question is, is it possible that I create Recovery CDs using my friend's computer and use them to restore my laptop? The issue is that, although the same model, her computer has a different "version" code (the 8-digit code beginning with "C60...", printed on the Service Tag under the computer). The same code also appears at the BIOS data of the computer, under System Information:

System Information

Manufacturer: Sony Corporation

Product Name: VPCEB1Z1E

Version: C6045YWV

Buying a new Recovery CD costs too much money, so I would be very happy if could use the ones created by the other computer.

Any  comments would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi incognito2000 and welcome.

I honestly don't know the answer but I suspect it will check the BIOS before allowing an installation.  At your own risk, you could try it.

I don't think Vaio Support will help either!

Another lesson to everyone here - Always Make Recovery Discs when you first but a new computer.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_RO.title
icucuta
New

Hi ,

I have a VGN-FZ31E ,OS Vista, and I bought my computer 4 years ago. In 2008 I have same probleme like you.

--If you don't erase complet HDD  (HDD have a hide partitions EISA around a 10 - 15 GB, where is a original OS with drivers and other programs ), you're lucky. You need from your friends ( with the same model ) just  first Recovery DVD to start installation, and somewhere  it's menu or question " Continue installation from HDD or DVD" check HDD , drink a coffe and relax.

--If you erase complet HDD, bad luck, drink 2-3 coffe, and try to recovery the hide partitions with specific software, and repeat the step with first Recovery DVD.

THE LAST CASE, just install from your friends.

Good luck.

profile.country.tr_TR.title
incognito2000
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you all for the helpful information.

As to the BIOS information, everything is the same including the model number. Only difference is the Version. This Version code also appears on the Service Tag under the computer.

System Information
Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
Product Name: VPCEB1Z1E
Version: (Mine is: C604USYY, Friend's is: C6045YWV)
Serial Number: XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX
UUID: XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
Wake-up Type: Power Switch
SKU Number: N/A
Family: VAIO

profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

From what you say it should work - let us know how you get on

nikkilim
Visitor

I don't think this will work. Each recovery disks are paired with the motherboard. I'm just not sure on how they do it. But for each motherboard, is paired with a specific recovery disk.

Try to check "My Computer" and see if you have a drive that says something about recovery. It could be D,E oir F. And cross your fingers. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

peshyxp
Visitor

You will probably have to check the computer details in the BIOS to see if they are similar and if so the recovery discs should work

You can only try and if it doesnt work I would suggest having a look on eBay

And yes I agree Sony do charge rip off prices for what they really should supply as standard with the laptop rather than asking the customer to burn a set of discs themselves

Goodluck

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Edited for copyright infringement

profile.country.de_AT.title
BennschiBoy96
Visitor

hey, i got a similar problem with my sony vaio cb2s1e/b... i bought a new ssd hard drive. now i want to create recovery dvds from the old hdd with vaio care...

is it possible to install the recovery dvds (i think 4 dvds) on my completely empty ssd, because i want the original shipped vaio programms and drivers on my ssd ....

thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi BennschiBoy96.

You should be able to reinstall the factory system onto a new drive by booting from the Recovery Discs (No 1) and following the instructions for a Complete Recovery.

It may be worth making 2 sets of Recovery Discs - just to make sure!

:wink:

peshyxp
Visitor

Nikkilm - I believe you are slightly misinformed

As long as the model is the same a generic set of recovery discs will work

The pairing issue you refer to is only for different models within the same family ie an FW20L recovery disc wont work on any other FW model other than an FW20

Hope this helps