Join now - be part of our community!

New Vaio - Cant Access Internet

jj100702
Visitor

New Vaio - Cant Access Internet

Hi all

First post, apologies if its been on before.

Purchased a new Vaio NS2o today, took it home and I thought it would be a case of getting it out the box and logging on to my internet via the wireless router.

thing is, I cant. The Vaio shows that the internet is connected but I am getting a error message everytime I try and log on.

Running the Diagnose Connection Problem Tool i get the message Windows cannot find the host name www.bbc.co.uk using DNS. The Domain Name Server may be down.

I contacted by broadband provider (virgin) and they took me thru the ipconfig screen and he confirmed that the router is talking to the PC. So it was not their issue.

My router is still working o my other laptop (hence this posting)

Does anyone have any idea???

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jj100702 and welcome to the forum.

Firstly check that your wireless network connection is set to obtain DNS server address automatically.

Network and Sharing Center > View Status > on the networking tab click Internet Protocol 4 (TCP/IPv4) (do not uncheck it) and then click Properties. Make sure that ‘obtain DNS server address automatically’ is checked.

Then close all open windows and power down your router by removing the power cable, wait at least 15 seconds and then re-connect the power and wait for it to re-establish the connection to your ISP.

I hope that this will help.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
martincephus
Visitor

Hi, I have a vaio and virgin connection, wireless route as well. I managed to get my wireless working using the 'obtain IP automaticly' setting, but my VAIO sometimes looses this select and defaults to a randon DNS address. I then get the old issue you describe. Did you manage to get yours to stick? If so, any advice on how I can do it? Thanks, Martin