Join now - be part of our community!

Constant rebooting how do I recover?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Eddy9025
Visitor

Constant rebooting how do I recover?

Have tried to run Safe mode, Command prompt, Recovery and boot disc without ant sucess as it just reboots repeatedly!

Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Do you get a blue screen before it reboots?

Are there any error messages at all?

Do you see the initial Vaio Logo splash screen?

Does it attempt to load Windows before it reboots?  At what stage of the startup process does this happen?

You say you have tried a boot disc.  What disc did you use and what exactly happened?

Any problems just before this happened?

What Model Vaio and what version of Windows?

Are you still within the Warranty period?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm sure you appreciate this could be caused by lots of things.

:thinking:

Eddy9025
Visitor

Hi

Thanks for the response, its five years old and runs Windows 2000 SP4

It starts up with a Microsoft message 'we apologise for any inconvenience a recent software
update might have caused this', and gives me the normal, safe and broadband modes for startup but none of these work?

It goes though the loading process i.e. Vaio Logo splash screen and it attempts to load Windows but just before it flashes and I get a black screen before it reboots to the Vaio Logo splash screen?

Regarding the external boot attempts it doesnt recognise / find the Floppy or Hard drive, I made a recovery disc when I bought the machine and an emergency repair disc was made from an old Vaio machine with the same Windows 2000 and has the MSDos Autoexec and Config files?

Hope that helps narrow it down, thanks again for the interest.

Eddy:smileyconfused:

profile.country.nl_BE.title
kimdesterck
Visitor

When you enter the bios, do you see the disk / dvd ?

Is the bootorder ok ?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Eddy,

What model Vaio is it?

Some models did have specific problems with the memory slots.

:thinking:

Eddy9025
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

The model is an F series - VGN-B3VP, what I cant understand is why the recovery or Boot disc dont work the boot order in the BIOS is Optical, Floppy, Hard drive and Network?

Regards

Eddy

Eddy9025
Visitor

Hi

the Hard drive is recognised but the disc doesnt work, the boot order in the BIOS is Optical, Floppy, Hard drive and Network? have tried various permutations with recovery and boot disc but none seem to work!

Regards

Eddy