Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading a VGC-RM2U to windows 7 64 bit advice?

profile.country.en_GB.title
andcobde

Upgrading a VGC-RM2U to windows 7 64 bit advice?

I'm trying to update my VGC-RM2U to windows 7 64 bit, since this is a non officially supported upgrade I thought I would ask for some advice and post my experience in case it helps anyone.

I've managed to do a clean install of win7 64 bit. You need to provide a driver for the DVD drive which I managed to download from Silcon Image direct

I used the unoffical vista 64 bit drivers from here  http://support.vaio.sony.eu/os/vista/64bit/ for the Sony CXD3705 and the Intel Management Engine as these were the only two devices windows couldn't auto id and I couldn't find any updated drivers anywhere and everything seems to be listed and working. Although the bluetooth is using a generic microsoft driver and not the Toshiba Bluetooth stack as win7 upgrade advisor says there are issues with it, I found a newer version on Toshiba's website here that says it's for win7 64 but it requires buying a license:smileysad: so haven't installed it.

What if anything do I need to do in terms of reinstalling any/all of the original software?

I note things like the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, is that a driver or an application, there is a newer 64 bit version on intels site but do I actually need to install it? does it do anything besides interface with the controller on the motherboard to change settings which I currently don't need.

Also with regard to bluetooth is there any way to get the wireless switch setting utiltiy working in win7 64 so I can turn bluetooth off?

Do I need to install the Shared Library, Event Service etc, and if so can I use the original vista 32 bit versions or do I need alternate versions perhaps using some from a latter model that came with win 7 etc?

Any expert advice appreciated?

0 REPLIES 0