Join now - be part of our community!

Alfa AWUS036H wireless adapter cannot connect

profile.country.en_GB.title
ginga99
New

Alfa AWUS036H wireless adapter cannot connect

Hello.
I am having serious difficulty with this wireless adapter.

I have spent days and days trying to get the ALFA adapter to work, I have searched the net, and in particular the forums, posted on several forums, found lots of issues with it, a couple of solutions, but no joy for me.

I have tried lots of different drivers, tried it with and without the Realtek Utility (VERY buggy), installed XP on separate partition - my laptop is now dual boot, even had the adapter changed in case it was faulty. No joy at all.

With Windows XP I have various drivers missing so I gave up, got the ethernet working though.

I have an internal Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter, (got the usb ALFA to improve the range) I have disabled it while installing, and after, but could this be stopping ALFA connecting? It has an on/off switch at the front.

Or maybe some Sony stuff in the background?

The Adapter (Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter) is listed in device manager as working. It is Enabled in Network Connections, the troubleshooter just tells me what I already know - that there is a problem with it!

There are 2 drivers in Driver File Details - RTL8187.sys (Realtek) and vwifibus.sys (Microsoft)

I am sure that either I am doing something simple wrong, or it just does not work on my system, but I have followed the instructions to the letter, and the thing just sits there. Getting slightly warm.

"It should just work" is the comment I keep reading, which I am inclined to agree, but it just does not.

Surely, it must be a simple problem with my laptop.

I have a Sony VPCEC2S0E - less than a year old.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, SP1
Intel i5 2.27GHz
6GB RAM

Attachment below may help?

Thank you in advance!

0 REPLIES 0