Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube casting broken since recent update on KD55XD8005

tifosi256
Explorer

YouTube casting broken since recent update on KD55XD8005

I got a surprise firmware update on my old (2016 I think) Sony Android TV just a couple of days ago. It still seems to be 7.0 (but with the Android security updates for 1st August 2018), but had some fixes for HDR I think.

Apart from the perrenial bug of system menu sounds still coming from internal speakers even when a soundbar is connected, I'm now having issues casting YouTube videos from my phone to my TV.

The YouTube app on the TV itself is fine, and works 100% of the time, but trying to cast videos from my phone to the TV results in the TV just staying on the YouTube loading screen (and the phone reports it's trying to connect). I did manage to clear the cast app data and cache, and that fixed it, but the issue has come back less than 24h later.

Has anyone else got this? This was absolutely not a problem previously (it's a feature we make extensive use of).It definitely arrived with the last firmware (which of course I can't downgrade from).

Tags (3)
38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

What is your version?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@zer0ner0 wrote:

What is your version?

Its 1.33.128811 Chromecast built-in.

Working ok. There is a version, August 30th, 1.33.133253 waiting to be installed which I wont do.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

Thanks a lot.

Yes, don' t, it's probably buggy!

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Fantastic, sony have messed this up for us all as well now. If it wasn't bad enough that external storage devices mounted as internal storage constantly unmount themselves or go read only, resulting in apps going missing, tv programs not being recorded or the tv crashing when trying to download new apps, they've now ruined the built in chromecast cast.

So, here's my experience so far. We have 3 phones in our household. My phone connects okay, my boys phone connects sometimes, when it wants to and my Mrs phone is generally okay as well.

The main problem that I am experiencing is when trying to connect multiple devices (one of chromecasts best features) originally, when I had guests round for a house party, I could start a playlist on my phone, others could then connect with their phones and add songs to the same playlist. Unfortunately now, if someone else connects their device, the previous device, along with the playlist gets kicked off and more often than not, it gets stuck on the youtube title screen. This happened at the last party I hosted so I switched to Spotify hoping that would solve the issue, unfortunately, it did not.

The only way I can get it working again is if I go into apps/chromecast built in and then unistall updates, clear data, force close and then restart the tv. This sort of fixes it temporarily, although it still seems buggy. For instance, connecting another device whilst one is already playing, results in the youtube title screen popping up and the current playlist pausing but then it will start to play again and the playlist will still be intact.

Unfortunately the chromecast built in app, automatically updates again causing everything to stop working again and there is no way to turn off these updates. I find the whole situation so frustrating and I've just about had enough of sony!! 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@SnAkEs1210 wrote:

Unfortunately the chromecast built in app, automatically updates again causing everything to stop working again and there is no way to turn off these updates. I find the whole situation so frustrating and I've just about had enough of sony!! 

My Chromecast (or any google apps) are not updating automatically, you can disable it here by following the instructions, I would advise doing this anyway as the ammount of times new versions drop which have issues is often.

1. Launch the Google Play Store application on Android TV
  2. Navigate to the left so that the side panel is showing
  3. Scroll down and select Settings
  4. Navigate to Auto-update apps and select it
  5. A pop-up will appear. Highlight Do not auto-update apps and select it
profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Oh really? Excellent, thank you so much. I have done this before with apps I have downloaded from the Google play store but I didn't realise that it stopped system apps from updating. I will certainly check this out later.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@SnAkEs1210 wrote:

Oh really? Excellent, thank you so much. I have done this before with apps I have downloaded from the Google play store but I didn't realise that it stopped system apps from updating. I will certainly check this out later.

I think we are talking about two different issues, Zer0 has pointed out that the Youtube casting has been broken by the Chromecast App, not the System Software on the TV.  You can also disable System Software updates though.

See:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00113306

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Chromecast built in is a system app, it's preinstalled on your tv and you can't uninstall it. You can only uninstall updates made to the app.

If you go to the apps menu on your tv, you will see a list of downloaded apps, followed by a list of system apps. Chromecast built in is in the system apps list. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@SnAkEs1210 wrote:

Chromecast built in is a system app, it's preinstalled on your tv and you can't uninstall it. You can only uninstall updates made to the app.

If you go to the apps menu on your tv, you will see a list of downloaded apps, followed by a list of system apps. Chromecast built in is in the system apps list. 

@stormyuk wrote:

Its 1.33.128811 Chromecast built-in.

Working ok. There is a version, August 30th, 1.33.133253 waiting to be installed which I wont do.

Chromecast updates are controlled by Google Play Store on the Android TV, it is as you say pre-installed at an older revision, so the first message about disabling updates will work, i've done it, and I have no issues with casting. (see quote above which details the version numbers).

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Oh I see what you are saying, you are referring to switching off the automatic software update.

This is something entirely different to what I am asking. I want to turn off app updates for system apps