Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube casting broken since recent update on KD55XD8005

tifosi256
Explorer

YouTube casting broken since recent update on KD55XD8005

I got a surprise firmware update on my old (2016 I think) Sony Android TV just a couple of days ago. It still seems to be 7.0 (but with the Android security updates for 1st August 2018), but had some fixes for HDR I think.

Apart from the perrenial bug of system menu sounds still coming from internal speakers even when a soundbar is connected, I'm now having issues casting YouTube videos from my phone to my TV.

The YouTube app on the TV itself is fine, and works 100% of the time, but trying to cast videos from my phone to the TV results in the TV just staying on the YouTube loading screen (and the phone reports it's trying to connect). I did manage to clear the cast app data and cache, and that fixed it, but the issue has come back less than 24h later.

Has anyone else got this? This was absolutely not a problem previously (it's a feature we make extensive use of).It definitely arrived with the last firmware (which of course I can't downgrade from).

Tags (3)
38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

What version of chromecast built in does it default to when unistalling updates to it? I find that the version it defaults to also has a few issues, not as bad as the latest version but they are still there.

I will be looking to sideload a newer version than the default version but not the latest version

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

@SnAkEs1210 wrote:

What version of chromecast built in does it default to when unistalling updates to it? I find that the version it defaults to also has a few issues, not as bad as the latest version but they are still there.

I will be looking to sideload a newer version than the default version but not the latest version

I think that it rolls back to 1.29.104695, but neither this provide a stable fix.

Also, I have tried to sideload 1.33.128811 which is the penultimate version (the one that @stormyuk has installed), but guess what: It is not a stable fix.

So I think that there is also something else in the OS that has been influenced by the 1.33.133253 chromecast built-in update and the only solution that comes to mind is a factory reset. And I am not fond of that option.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

So if anyone is experiencing problems with the latest version of chromecast built in, I would recommend unistalling updates and then downloading the previous version from here

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/chromecast-built-in/google-cast-receiver-android-tv-1-33-12...

Installing that one and turning off automatic updates in Google play 

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Oh, mine seems to be working okay now but time will tell, I only had a quick test in my lunchbreak. You can download any version of chromecast built in from that site, so we'll just have to go through them to find the best one. Might be that there is another underlying problem here, hopefully it's not down to the recent software update because sony won't be quick to fix it. 

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

I certainly remember being able to cast youtube after the FW update and prior to the chromecast built-in update. That's why I am 99% sure that the latter is the culprit.

PS1. For me every solution (rollback, reset cache, penultimate update) worked for 1-2 hours and then stopped again. So check it again and, please, report back the version/ solution that provides a permanent fix.

PS2. I have also used this source: https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=chromecast+built+in

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Did you turn off automatic updates in Google play? 

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

Yes I did. Are you still able to cast youtube after an hour?

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Haven't tested it since but then, I'm always able to cast youtube to my TV. Normally it's when someone else wants to join the cast that it causes it to crash. Maybe it depends on the device that is trying to cast. I'm using a Sony Xperia XZ premium. What is everyone else using? My mates Samsung caused it to crash everytime. 

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Would appear that everyone with a sony tv now has this problem.Would appear that everyone with a sony tv now has this problem.

It seems that with every single software update, things just get worse and worse.

When my TV was on marshmallow, everything worked fine, now harddrives are useless, can't write to them without mounting them. Mounting them causes the tv to crash, lose apps, recordings or get stuck in read only so you can't install any more apps. The latest software update still hasn't fixed those issues and now they've managed to break the chromecast feature. 

Funny how my mums LG TV and my brothers Samsung TV doesn't have any of these issues, as many people as you want can cast youtube videos and their TVs aren't even android!! 🤪 

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

My post is on the top of that list (23/09/2018).