Join now - be part of our community!

YouTube casting broken since recent update on KD55XD8005

tifosi256
Explorer

YouTube casting broken since recent update on KD55XD8005

I got a surprise firmware update on my old (2016 I think) Sony Android TV just a couple of days ago. It still seems to be 7.0 (but with the Android security updates for 1st August 2018), but had some fixes for HDR I think.

Apart from the perrenial bug of system menu sounds still coming from internal speakers even when a soundbar is connected, I'm now having issues casting YouTube videos from my phone to my TV.

The YouTube app on the TV itself is fine, and works 100% of the time, but trying to cast videos from my phone to the TV results in the TV just staying on the YouTube loading screen (and the phone reports it's trying to connect). I did manage to clear the cast app data and cache, and that fixed it, but the issue has come back less than 24h later.

Has anyone else got this? This was absolutely not a problem previously (it's a feature we make extensive use of).It definitely arrived with the last firmware (which of course I can't downgrade from).

Tags (3)
38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Odd, for me the version I am on just consistantly works with my Moto G5+ and Youtube, not had any issues.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Which version is that?

I sideloaded 1.33.128811 and it seemed to be working at lunchtime. I've just got in from work and it is still working.

Connecting multiple devices seems to be possible again. Haven't tried it with a Samsung phone yet though. 

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Sorry, i just read back, you are on the same version as me

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

I have rolled back once more to the previous version 1.33.128811 by sideloading it and it seems that it is working even with youtube for the last couple of hours (previous efforts failed within the first hour).

I never had a problem with multiple users, but I tested that too.

I won't declare it as "mission accomplished" yet though...

This Sony piece of ...technology has made me very cautious.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

@zer0ner0 wrote:

I have rolled back once more to the previous version 1.33.128811 by sideloading it and it seems that it is working even with youtube for the last couple of hours (previous efforts failed within the first hour).

I never had a problem with multiple users, but I tested that too.

I won't declare it as "mission accomplished" yet though...

This Sony piece of ...technology has made me very cautious.

Fed up with that issue, last night I decided to proceed with the nuclear option: factory reset the TV.

The chromecast built-in is back to 1.29.something...

The problem has not emerged since then.

I suppose that I could update to 1.33.128811 with no problem.

The family uses this youtube chromcasting feature extensively, so it was an inconvenience for us all.

profile.country.GB.title
SnAkEs1210

Did the factory reset fix your issues in the end. 

My TV seems fixed for most things but I am currently experiencing difficulties with playing cardcast now. I can only ever get two devices connected and the game only works with 3 or more players. 

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

@SnAkEs1210 wrote:

Did the factory reset fix your issues in the end.

Since the factory reset last Thursday youtube chromecasting works flawlessly.

profile.country.BE.title
laez-zet
New

Hi there, 

Someone told me this was fixed, also without the factory reset? 

Is that true? 

Thanks

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

Report by a user in a greek av forum says that proper youtube chromecast behavior restored even with the 1.33.133253 version of chromecast built-in app.

Could anyone that has already installed 1.33.133253 confirm it?

Thanks.