Join now - be part of our community!

Media volume is the default audio channel when adjusting the volume

SOLVED
Riyadhe
Visitor

Media volume is the default audio channel when adjusting the volume

The volume bar now takes up the whole screen and it adjusts media by default. One cant adjust the ring tone without accessing the settings menu.

Been grating my teeth with android updates. If this does not get better then its bye bye

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jonas
Master

Hi @Riyadhe and @Tonichi!

In Android 9.0 (Pie), the volume keys will only adjust the media volume. This is different from previous versions of Android, where ring tone volume was the default setting.

There is no way to change this setting in Android Pie. However, there is a toggle button for the three ringer modes just above the on-screen volume slider, which lets you turn the ringer off and on with a single tap. During calls, the volume keys will adjust the speaker volume for call audio, and the on-screen volume slider will show an additional column for this.

If you want to adjust the ring/notification tone volume, the fastest way is to tap the volume up or down button on the side of your device > tap the little cogwheel and the audio settings menu will open up directly and in here you can adjust the ring/notification volume.

I hope that answers your question! Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
Tonichi
Visitor

Is it just me or does everyone's volume buttons seem to exclusively control the media volume now? I just want to be able to adjust my ring volume without having to open settings menus. 

Jonas
Master

Hi @Riyadhe and @Tonichi!

In Android 9.0 (Pie), the volume keys will only adjust the media volume. This is different from previous versions of Android, where ring tone volume was the default setting.

There is no way to change this setting in Android Pie. However, there is a toggle button for the three ringer modes just above the on-screen volume slider, which lets you turn the ringer off and on with a single tap. During calls, the volume keys will adjust the speaker volume for call audio, and the on-screen volume slider will show an additional column for this.

If you want to adjust the ring/notification tone volume, the fastest way is to tap the volume up or down button on the side of your device > tap the little cogwheel and the audio settings menu will open up directly and in here you can adjust the ring/notification volume.

I hope that answers your question! Slightly_smiling_Face

Riyadhe
Visitor

So why was the usability taken away from the previous version. Every thing must now be changed in the settings menu. The drop down menu is now a complete waste.

Bradlingtown
Visitor

Using Xperia XZ2 compact.

Please help me! My phone updated on the 15/10/18 (I'll keep my opinions about this update to myself) and I can no longer adjust the ring volume without going through to the settings menu! The side volume keys no longer control ring volume only media volume which is incredibly frustrating. Is there a way to correct the issue? Previously the button controlled both media and ring volume.

Cheers, 

Brad 

profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

@Bradlingtown

I'm afraid that's how Android Pie is designed. You get a shortcut button to trigger silent or DND mode though.

RuneJ
Contributor

People do not like changes for sure.:smileycool:

In 99% of the cases I used the side-buttons only to adjust down the ring-tone volume to enable Silent/Vibrate.

-It goes much quicker with the new feature of hitting the button once and use the toggle between vibrate-mute-sound feature. It also returns back to the original ring-tone volume, instead of having to manally set this back. 

Me like!:smileysmileythumbsup:

Bradlingtown
Visitor

Thank you, this is very disappointing news. 

Riyadhe
Visitor

For sure changes aren't always nice. But this new android takes the cake. I make use of three different WiFi networks. I can't change which network i want to use unless I go thru the settings menu. In the older version, open drop box, select he word wifi and then choose which network to use.

The volume key is the worst, I don't have a std volume loudness, depends where I am. This is hard when u in and out of a store and meetings

Riyadhe
Visitor

Why is there only a kudos button.

Please ask the developers to ad dislike, so that Sony and it's all center can see what their customers don't like with regards to replies from support and users