Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEB4E4E - Key Fell Off

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Safeguyz
Visitor

VPCEB4E4E - Key Fell Off

Hi guys, I was wondering how I would go about getting a new "K" key for my Sony Vaio that I purchased in November 2011. The key fell off in December 2011, at first it started sticking and I had to press hard on the top of it to release it and for it to register that I wanted to press the K button. Once after pressing it, it did fall off. After looking at the parts it seems that one of the parts on the mechanism has snapped off and will not go back on as it is not complete.

Now I need to get a replacement key, actually the hinge itself. Would it be under warranty? Or does anyone know where I can get a new hinge to replace the key myself?

Thanks,
Rob.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Rob and welcome.

Sony used to supply spare keys but this has not been the case for several years.

As you are still within Warranty, I would speak to Vaio Support to see if they will fix it under warranty.

I suppose it is possible Sony may consider this 'physical damage' and want to charge for the repair.  Depending on the cost, you may wish to buy a single key from somewhere like eBay - I see there are some available here: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=vpceb+keys&_sacat=See-All-C...

Check for the same clips - it is probably the middle model shown.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Rob and welcome.

Sony used to supply spare keys but this has not been the case for several years.

As you are still within Warranty, I would speak to Vaio Support to see if they will fix it under warranty.

I suppose it is possible Sony may consider this 'physical damage' and want to charge for the repair.  Depending on the cost, you may wish to buy a single key from somewhere like eBay - I see there are some available here: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=vpceb+keys&_sacat=See-All-C...

Check for the same clips - it is probably the middle model shown.

:thinking: