Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Updates after new harddrive installation

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
kennyp14
Visitor

Vaio Updates after new harddrive installation

Hi,

This is my first foray into the worls of forums so please be kind with any replies.

My proplem is that I have just had to replace the harddrive on my Vaio laptop (VGN-FW21L) and after

receiving it back from the repair guy there were no Vaio entries in the program list.  What do I now do to replace these misssing items?. I have checked the Support page of the site and under the Windows Vista tag there are all the downloads there but do I have to install them individually or is there a way of downloading the complete Vaio package for vista in one go?

Any and all help gratefully accepted

Kennyp14:smileyconfused:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kennyp14 and welcome.

Not without a set of Recovery Discs which are designed to reinstall everything back to factory condition in the event of a hard disc failure.  Without Recovery Discs, you will have to reinstall the available drivers and utilities one at a time but not everything preinstalled is available for download - many preinstalled Applications do not appear in the Download Section and some are only updates if you already have the existing software installed.

I'm sure you are aware by now that you should have made your own set of Recovery Discs when you first bought your Vaio.  The software to do this was on your Vaio and the System will have reminded you a few times.  However, you are not alone, it is a lengthy process when you have a brand new Vaio and a large number of other users have made the same error - just read some of the other posts here!

You can buy a replacement Recovery Disc Set from Vaio Support but they are quite expensive - around £50 last time I heard.

If you have any problems installing the software come back and we will try to help.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kennyp14 and welcome.

Not without a set of Recovery Discs which are designed to reinstall everything back to factory condition in the event of a hard disc failure.  Without Recovery Discs, you will have to reinstall the available drivers and utilities one at a time but not everything preinstalled is available for download - many preinstalled Applications do not appear in the Download Section and some are only updates if you already have the existing software installed.

I'm sure you are aware by now that you should have made your own set of Recovery Discs when you first bought your Vaio.  The software to do this was on your Vaio and the System will have reminded you a few times.  However, you are not alone, it is a lengthy process when you have a brand new Vaio and a large number of other users have made the same error - just read some of the other posts here!

You can buy a replacement Recovery Disc Set from Vaio Support but they are quite expensive - around £50 last time I heard.

If you have any problems installing the software come back and we will try to help.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kennyp14
Visitor

Thanks for the reply, but I did make a set of recovery discs when I purchased the laptop. I tried to load them before taking the laptop in for repair but they would start to load then the screen went black with no further action. I also gave them to the repair people who tried them but again they failed to load (even on a new harddrive!). The only conclusion was that the recovery discs had not loaded the programs when I set them up.

Anyway, I have loaded up what parts of Vaio update I think I need and have uploaded Corel Windvd and so far everything seems o.k.