Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with Product ID number and Windows Activation Code.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Ex-miner
Visitor

Problem with Product ID number and Windows Activation Code.

I have 12 days to activate Windows, which have been activated four years ago. The Product ID number is not recognised and the Windows activation code is not accepted. Is there anyone who might have a solution for this problem? Who would I need to contact with regards re-activating the laptop? Any suggestion is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you installed another retail version of Windows?  If you have reinstalled from Sony Recovery Media then you need to phone Sony Support.

Reinstalling the Sony OEM version of Windows from the Recovery Partition or from Recovery Discs never requires activation - so you never need the code on the bottom of your Vaio.  Becase of this, the code on the bottom of your Vaio is not a valid Windows activation code and Microsoft will not recognise it.

Legally, you only hold a licence to use the Sony OEM Windows version - not for any other full installer version.  This is why you never get a genuine Windows installation disc with your new laptop.  If you install Windows from another source or disc, even if it is the same OS (eg. Vista Home Premium) you should, according to Microsoft, buy a licence for that version yourself as you only hold an OEM Sony licence.

In the good old XP days, I believe the activation code on the bottom of the Vaio was a valid activation code - so you could borrow a friend's XP Installation Disc, carry out a clean install and then activate this version of XP using the Vaio's product code.  Microsoft got wise to this when Vista was released and stopped it.

All you can try is to telephone Microsoft's activation centre telephone line for your product and region and explain what has happened and hope the operater is feeling generous.  I have heard they will sometimes allow activation but on other occasions they will stick to the correct legal position and refuse.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

We can only talk about legal activation here.

:thinking: