Join now - be part of our community!

no sound

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
dr_kamal
Explorer

no sound

Hi,

I have a fairly new desktop-SVL2413M1EB. what seems to be happening for the last few weeks is that i suddenly lose the sound on the system for no obvious reason.I use BOSE external speakers.There is no sound either from the ext speakers or the PC speakers.It does come back automatically after a few days.This has now happened a few times but more frequently lately, Troubleshooting says no problem with audio/speakers, I have tried re installing the drivers and have also attempted a restore to a earlier date with no benefit, I use windows 8.1. any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Kamal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dr_kamal,

The Realtek High Definition Audio driver is available for download from the following link:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVL2413M1EB/updates

Expand Windows 8 under Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities and then scroll down to Realtek High Definition Audio. The ‘Manual’ or ‘Have Disk’ method of install within Device Manager will not work as the download is an .exe. Follow the instructions on the Sony Support site to install.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
sonytjm
Explorer

My sound stopped working. I discovered that an additional sound device had been installed and was the default. a PL2773H-1 NVIDIA High Definition AUdio. I set it to the Realtek High definitioon Audio and it all came back. ( Via Change Sound Card settings on search))
profile.country.GB.title
dr_kamal
Explorer

Thank sonytjm,it shows my default as High definition audio device, have tried installing/uninstalling several times, no luck,Thx for the input anyway,appreciate that.

kamal

takrzem

If you want just to play the audio using speakers / headphones jack connector, then most likely Realtek High Definition Audio Device is the right, default choice. My guess is that something is 'stealing' this output somehow.

Go to Control Panel / Sound and check / verify the settings there.

profile.country.GB.title
dr_kamal
Explorer

Thanks Takrzem, had same problem with realtek - tried reinstalling it a few times, on the last attempt it was repaced by' microsoft high definition audio device',unable to find realtek now,

the green bar on the volume slider keeps juggling up and down while playing audio but no sound from either ext speakers or the PC speakers.

when i try adjusting the volume when the telly is on it says 'volume is fixed and cannot currently be adjusted'.

kamal

takrzem

In that case it looks like incorrect driver got installed.

Go to Device Manager and delete this audio device, and when prompted choose manual choice of driver and search for Realtek in the available options.

Alternatively download Realtek driver from SONY support site and reinstall.

profile.country.en_GB.title
sonytjm
Explorer

The fixed volume message can be recreated on my machine, by OPTIONS / SPEAKERS / AUDIO SYSTEM/ Just tested it. I am guessing. Putting it back ot internal speakers got it back. Hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
dr_kamal
Explorer

adds the same driver after uninstalling, no option to select manually, cant find realtek on the sony support site,

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi dr_kamal,

The Realtek High Definition Audio driver is available for download from the following link:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVL2413M1EB/updates

Expand Windows 8 under Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities and then scroll down to Realtek High Definition Audio. The ‘Manual’ or ‘Have Disk’ method of install within Device Manager will not work as the download is an .exe. Follow the instructions on the Sony Support site to install.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Edit: Oh sorry didn't see the post above. :flushed: