Join now - be part of our community!

My sound system; HELP!

profile.country.en_GB.title
DaminiGorsia
Visitor

My sound system; HELP!

My vaio keeps making buzzing sounds when i'm listening to music etc, what could be the reason for this? (Its not even a month old yet)

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi DaminiGorsia,

Do you get the same sound interference without the AC power adaptor attached to the notebook?

If not then you could be experiencing ground loop - i.e. interference from the power adaptor. There are isolators available but this really shouldn't happen with a modern computer.

A call to Support may be in order.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
DaminiGorsia
Visitor

Hi Rich

It has happened with and without the AC power adaptor. What does that mean?

Thanks

Damini :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi DaminiGorsia,

You seem to have eliminated a ground loop problem as the issue is still evident when on battery only.

Unfortunately there are many possible causes for the problem – either hardware or software.

To rule out software or driver issues as the cause it may be necessary to return to factory settings using the Vaio Recovery Utility and then, before installing any updates or third party software, check whether the buzzing is still there when playing audio.

Have you tried different media players?

If you contact Support they will almost certainly ask that you return the notebook to factory settings before they will investigate.

Be aware that a factory reset will delete all personal data so make a backup to an external source before proceeding. You will need to re-install third party applications once testing is completed.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
DaminiGorsia
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thank you, i will try what you have requested and see if that resolves the problem but how could there be something wrong with the hardware or software if i havent installed anything apart from microsoft office or have any personal data except music files?

Yes, i have tried different media types and it also happens when playing audio on youtube.

Thank you once again,

Damini

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Damini,

Although you personally may not have not installed anything you may have recieved both Microsoft and Vaio updates. Once you have eliminated this as a possible cause you have all the necessary amunition to ask Support to investigate further.

I assume that this problem was not evident when you first received the notebook?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
DaminiGorsia
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Yes, I did recieve microsoft and vaio updates which I did install because that was the only option. I started hearing these sounds on the first day I got the notebook but this was only once i had updated everything.

Damini

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Damini,

I suggest that you do not connect to the net proir to testing audio after the factory reset - just to eliminate the possibility of automatic updates.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
DaminiGorsia
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your help, I'll try that.

Damini