Join now - be part of our community!

How big should the HDD be?

RedW
Visitor

How big should the HDD be?

I have just bought a VGN-FZ31M. The website and the sticker on the laptop show a 200GB HDD but looking at the properties against the C: drive, it is only 175gb. Looking at the details in device manager it is 179,999 Mb.

Now I know that they are never the exact size but this seems a fair way out from the claim. Am I wrong to compare these numbers? or is the drive just not he right size?

4 REPLIES 4
carloscerros
Visitor

Hi RedW,

According specs on Sony website it's 200Gb of full size. Exclude around 7.5Gb (+/- 10% of full size) allocated to recovery space (in hidden partition of HDD).

KR

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I have just bought a VGN-FZ31M.  The website and the sticker on the laptop show a 200GB HDD but looking at the properties against the C: drive, it is only 175gb.  Looking at the details in device manager it is 179,999 Mb.  

Now I know that they are never the exact size but this seems a fair way out from the claim. Am I wrong to compare these numbers? or is the drive just not he right size?

Hi RedW

As you are aware the difference in hard drive size is partly due to the different way manufactures and Microsoft report the sizes..

Manufacturers use the SI scale for example 1KB = 1000 bytes

Microsoft, ie windows XP/Vista, use the binary, for example 1KB = 1024 bytes

Therefore manufactures 200 GB hard drive = 200,000,000,000 bytes.

Whereas MS 200 GB hard drive = 186 GB

example 200GB manufactures size converted to MS binary scale...

200Gb = 200,000,000,000

/1024 = 195312500 kilobytes
/1024 = 190735 megabytes
/1024 = 186 Gigabytes

Also you have a hidden recovery partition, which is probably 7.5 GB

You may be able to reclaim some space by following the tips in this thread: HERE

RedW
Visitor

Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look at that thread to see if I can recover some of that space!

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile: