Join now - be part of our community!

Firewire problem. cant find out if it works.

Irene-plecofan
Visitor

Firewire problem. cant find out if it works.

Hi, I have new AR31s and an trying to download video from an external camera using the firewire port.
I connect the camera and switch on, but the computer is not recognising it.
the video editing software says there is no camera connected.
I expect it is something simple like a setting some where?

the camera downloads fine on my desk top, and I have tried 2 different firewire cables so cant believe they both dont work. so must be the notebook that has the problem.
any ideas?? thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Irene-plecofan
Visitor

anybody?
the sony support FAQs say i need a sony i-link cable as other manufacturers cables arent garenteed! i have cheap ebay one and then tried more expensive good make, belkin, neither work.
have any of you downloaded video from a camera using the i'link or firewire?

Irene-plecofan
Visitor

surely somebody uses i.link or firewire??

profile.country.en_GB.title
riashto46
New

It would be helpful to know what the camcorder model is and what software drivers you loaded.
I mainly use USB and this needs drivers to sucessfully communicate with a camcorder. Firewire usually sets itsel up as a network, rather than an editing conduit.
Rik

Irene-plecofan
Visitor

its a canon DV type.
not loaded any drivers, should not need to. works fine on my desktop firewire.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Is your Desktop running Vista?

There are problems with Canon Vista firewire drivers.

Have you tried using Click2DVD in i-link mode?

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
stewhewe
Visitor

I have the AR31s which I bought new last month. I had the same problem trying to connect my Canon XH-A1 HDV camcorder.
I tried to download HD footage onto Adobe elements 3 but it did not recognise the connection.
However when I registered the Adobe software I was emailed a link to a free update for the software(if I remember correctly)which was sent virtually immediately by email.
Once installed the software recognised the Camera connection and I downloaded the footage via the firewire/i link. I must say the quality of playback was excellent on the high def screen. Almost equivalent to plugging the camera straight into my full HD TV.
One problem I still have though is the capture preview window does not show the footage I'm trying to capture so I have just been using the monitor on the camera itself.
I intend to resolve this problem when I get my laptop back from Sony for the 3rd time in a month for a recurring keyboard problem.
They have had it longer than me !!
Hope you solve your problem!
Regards
Steve

Irene-plecofan
Visitor

thanks, my desktop is also vista (also home edition) but maybe the notebook version is subtly different or my desktop has a different firewire card type?

cant get adobe to recognise the camera or any other software. they all say I have no camera connected.
it does not even react when it is connected and switched on, like asking for a driver or what software I would like to use or anything.
IF I use a USB it is fine to access the memory card in the camera, and shows in my computer as external storage device. but to download video from the tape it needs to use firewire. maybe my firewire card is not functioning properly. I guess I will have to try using a friends camera to double check it is not a canon- vista problem. then raise a fault report with sony.

Irene-plecofan
Visitor

well , some progress to report.
I borrowed an old sony video camera and that worked fine on the firewire, so I at least know the firewire links and my belkin cable work fine.
I also updated windows vista on my desktop -and now the canon camera wont work on that! so it is a vista/canon problem