Join now - be part of our community!

Can't do Recovery since Motherboard was replaced?? Help.

profile.country.uk_UA.title
anniez
Visitor

Can't do Recovery since Motherboard was replaced?? Help.

Hi, I need some help. I have the  Sony Vaio Desktop VGC-RB38G and I have a warranty through the company that I bought it from. The techs at the company have tried to fix this computer several times. They have had to replace my motherboard, card slots, and DVD drives several times since I've had the computer. In fact, the card slots have never worked properly. I have recovery discs that I have had to use several times because of these repairs. When the company replaced my motherboard, I was no longer able to do a system recovery with my discs. The people at the company said I need new recivery discs, but I'm pretty sure that Sony will send me the same recivery discs that are not compatible with the new motherboard, DVD drives, etc. Please help.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Recovery Discs, for obvious licensing reasons, are model specific.  The model burnt to the Recovery Discs must match the model burnt into the CMOS Chip on the motherboard.

The VGC-RB38G is presumably a USA Vaio model with its support page here: -

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGCRB38G

Are you in the UK?

Try looking in the BIOS Screens by tapping F2 during startup - what model is quoted?

:thinking: