Join now - be part of our community!

After image or Ghost images

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
petekins
Visitor

After image or Ghost images

I have a 37EX403, perfect picture except when the scene changes from a bright highlight, say a face with a dark background, if the scene then flicks to an all black scene,an after image or ghost of the face remains. I don't know how long this ghost would stay on screen, as the scene always changes. Also I get a trailing effect if  a bright object moves across or into a dark/black area.

It's always like this when dark scenes are invoved.

The TV is an ex display model from M&S when their technology dept closed about 2 months ago, could the panel be worn out?? or at least effected by being switched on all day for months on end? or is this just normal for LCD panels?

Any comments or advice wold be welcome before I contact the M&S service dept.

Pete.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
petekins
Visitor

Update:- for info for anyone with a similar problem

Have now had the TV replaced under warranty,due to an unrelated problem (buzzing backlight power supply).

Obviously the replacement is Brand New, and as such is not displaying the ghosting/after image problem that the previous(display) model did.

Lesson learnt: don't buy a display model.

I was lucky, getting a brand new set for a display model price........result.

pete.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Bravia55HX

Hi,

have tried twice this morning to post a reply, here goes again!!,

turn all picture processing off including the ambience sensor then chech contrast and brightness not set too high by the shop if so back them off a bit and see if any of that helps.

petekins
Visitor

Hi Brav55

Thanks for reply, can't tinker with tv as I'm at work right now,  btw  this site is loading v. slowly for me today, mabye related to your difficulty in posting??

Regarding my "problem", is it likely that being a display model could adversely effect the lcd panel? Hopefully not as the picture is superb  when viewing normally lit scenes, especially in HD.

I'll report back when I.ve fiddled with the settings

Cheers.

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

yes there are a few issues with the site at he moment, as my more detailed posts i tried to send failed but you have the general gist of what i meant!,

i think you may be over reacting a little on the tv being ex display as you knew this before you bought it and im sure the price would have reflected that, however its still unlikely that being ex display that its affected the tv as you have stated the picture is excellent,

i will still hedge my bet its a motion issue and once you make the adjustment i think you will be fine.

petekins
Visitor

Hi,

Had a fiddle with the settings last night,

The ambient sensor was already OFF, but I had the picture on 'Vivid'

I experimented with  many settings, ended up leaving it on Vivid, cos it seems brighter and clearer, tweekd the contrast and brilliance down a bit. Only trouble is scenes with lots of dark/black areas in them weren't being shown, typical. Any way thanks for advice.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

now we getting somewhere and thats why!, its far too "in your face" that setting, not sure what others you have on that model but personally set it on "custom" and udjust it there,

also you could try calibrating the settings a bit more using a THX optimiser, you can find this on any THX certified disc (star wars and T2) to name a couple

petekins
Visitor

Update:- for info for anyone with a similar problem

Have now had the TV replaced under warranty,due to an unrelated problem (buzzing backlight power supply).

Obviously the replacement is Brand New, and as such is not displaying the ghosting/after image problem that the previous(display) model did.

Lesson learnt: don't buy a display model.

I was lucky, getting a brand new set for a display model price........result.

pete.