Join now - be part of our community!

HT-ZF9 Soundbar - Vertical sound

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
samv0808
Explorer

HT-ZF9 Soundbar - Vertical sound

Have just purchased this new Soundbar. I have one question on the functionality I am unsure on.

Do you need to press the Vertical Surround button on the remote for Atmos and DTSX content. It looks like it does it automatically and you don’t need to but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

I think you don't understand correctly  the purpose of the button. 😃

It's for up mixing lower channel files into Atmos (like) with heigh surround but that's not as you may think a button for turning on/off vertical surround of an atmos file.

As a consequence, no you don't have to press it for atmos (it's useless since there is nothing to upmix). Soundbar is atmos so heigh effects will work automatically. Your first thought was right and now you know why (hope I was clear enough hehe)

You can freely enjoy your movies now :grin:

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Sam, 

Welcome to the community.

Please see p.45 of this instruction manual.

Thanks,

Pascale

*The URL got fixed by a moderator.

profile.country.GB.title
samv0808
Explorer

Hi Pascale,

the link does not work for me unfortunately 

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Apologies, Sam.

A full stop had sneaked its way in there. Instead, please click here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/4727/d1ff451e44dc39fc895aec29e654d9a6/4727533...

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
samv0808
Explorer

Ok. Found it anyway. its the one I read. I am still not 100% clear though.

please bear with me.

If I play non Atmos content then press on the display button on the remote to show detail of the signal I get the following. if Vertical S is off it only says Dolby Front Surround. And if I press the Vertical S button then I get the vertical engine in the display. This makes sense

However if I play Atmos content then this Vertical engine is shown as active on the display even if I have used the Vertical S button to switch it off.

So I wanted the be clear on the effect of having the Vertical S button actuallyivated when Dolby Atmos seems to have it activated by default anyway. Is there no effect? Or it messes with the default Atmos setting for having it enabled

thanks!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Yes that's normal.

When you don't have Dolby Atmos soudntracks, the sound bar can "up mix" basic 5.1 into 7.1.2 mix when you activate "Vertical S "

profile.country.GB.title
samv0808
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately  I already know that.

My specific question is should I press this button for Dolby ATmos content or not? Or does Dolby Atmos have this height effect added automatically.

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

I think you don't understand correctly  the purpose of the button. 😃

It's for up mixing lower channel files into Atmos (like) with heigh surround but that's not as you may think a button for turning on/off vertical surround of an atmos file.

As a consequence, no you don't have to press it for atmos (it's useless since there is nothing to upmix). Soundbar is atmos so heigh effects will work automatically. Your first thought was right and now you know why (hope I was clear enough hehe)

You can freely enjoy your movies now :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
samv0808
Explorer

Indeed I can. Thank you for answering the question. I can close that small compartment in my brain now.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

You're welcome. If you have suggestion for some good movies with nice atmos sound feel free to share with us :grin: