Join now - be part of our community!

Speakers for Sony Str Dh 790

SOLVED
Mario9
Explorer

Speakers for Sony Str Dh 790

Hello to everyone,

Sorry for bothering you but I have a question about my receiver Sony Str Dh 790. I have this receiver for more than one year and I like it. I currently use a 5.0.2 setup for speakers and all of my speakers have 8 ohms impedance. I want to upgrade my standfloor speakers and I like how speakers Focal Theva N3 sound. Looking at Focal Theva N3 specifications I see that is recommended a receiver with 40 to 250 W power. In the specification list Focal Theva N3 have 8 ohms nominal impedance and 2.9 ohms minimal impedance. It is for the first time when I see a speaker with values for nominal impedance and minimal impedance.  For Sony Str Dh 790 receiver it is recommended  to use speakers with impedance between 6 and 16 ohms. Now, I am a little bit concerned about Focal Theva N3 specification regarding 2.9 ohms minimal impedance. Will Focal Theva N3 be good for Sony Str Dh 790 ? Regardind the fact that, for the moment, I will upgrade only the standfloor speakers with Focal Theva N3 while the other speakers will have  8 ohms impedance, will this be ok for Sony Str Dh790 ?

Again, sorry for bothering with this....maybe for you it is a stupid question, but I am just someone who use products as the producer recomends.

Thanks in advance and a good day for everyone...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Their nominal Impedance is 8 Ohms so they are like your current ones, I don't think you will have any problems.

View solution in original post

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Don't believe it, the Impedance topic is not at all easy to understand... 🤗

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

https://www.focal.com/en/focal-teach/what-is-the-impedance-for-hifi-loudspeakers

"If impedance measured at 1000Hz is 8 Ohms, the hi-fi loudspeaker will then be said to be 8 Ohms nominal impedance. A hi-fi loudspeaker bandwidth extends from 20 to 20 000Hz, its average impedance or even minimal seen by the amplifier can be very far from the said 8 Ohms, for example 3 or 4 Ohms. Thus the official 8 Ohms (like the 220V of our power supply that may vary from 218 to 240V) remains an official norm but not very indicative. That’s why Focal is one of the rare driver and loudspeaker manufacturer that clearly gives the minimal impedance for each of its products. For example, 8 Ohms nominal impedance for a 5 Ohms minimum."
Mario9
Explorer

Thanks a lot....

I really appreciate the answear....yes, after seeing your answear, I tried to read more about speaker' s impedance and I discovered that it will be the same with any other speaker. I think all the speakers have a minimal and a maximal impedance, while the nominal impedance or the value that is mentioned on the back of all the speakers is a value between minimal and maximal.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, regardind my specific situation, can I install that speakers in my setup ? 

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Their nominal Impedance is 8 Ohms so they are like your current ones, I don't think you will have any problems.

Mario9
Explorer

Ok, thank you very much....

Right now, as I see that you know a lot, I will put in your attention another specific issue regarding Sony Str Dh 790. Let' s say someone use different types of speakers in a 5.1.2 stetp, maybe 4 speakers with 6 ohms impedance and 2 speakers with 8 ohms impedance. What do you think about that ? It is a situation that may appear and I think it would be good for Sony Community to have an answear for everything.

Thanks again...

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

The Ohms are in the Specifications of the Amplifier, the important thing is not to connect them together, in Series or in Parallel, but this is not your case.
Mario9
Explorer

Not my case.....for anyone who read this....do not connect speakers in Parallel or Series.

Yes the impedance of the amplifiers is written on the back of the product.

In our case, Sony Str Dh 790, is mentioned to connect speakers with 6 to 16 ohms but, as the Sony Str Dh 790 doesn' t have an option to switch from 6 to 8 or any other value within 6 to 16 ohms, I think it will not be a problem to connect speakers with different impedance as long as their nominal impedance is between 6 to 16 ohms. I am not an expert like you Marino and I think this is the major issue of someone who want to buy Sony Str Dh790. They are a little bit confused. I think Sony Str Dh 790 can detect the impedance of the speakers you connect and as long as their impedance is between 6 and 16 ohms, there will be no problem at all.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Don't believe it, the Impedance topic is not at all easy to understand... 🤗
Mario9
Explorer

Thank you for answears....