Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RX10 iv ISO auto Min SS

profile.country.GB.title
CWT000
Explorer

Sony RX10 iv ISO auto Min SS

According to the manual, I can set my RX10 iv to auto ISO and chosing the standard setting it will set the shutter speed relative to the focal length of the lens and then adjust ISO for a perfect exposure.  I cannot however get this to work.

As an example I have tried the following all at f4   

Focal length                Shutter speed

24mm                           1/250

100mm                         1/125

300mm                         1/250

500mm                         1/250

600mm                         1/250

I would have expected the shutter speed to be the reciprocal of the focal lenght.

Anybody have any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

It might be best getting in touch with the support team for further help with this here.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
dfm1951
Explorer

I have the same issue as you after testing the Sony- The Shutter speed is all over the place depending on the light. This is at all lengths.

Why? I don't actually know.

profile.country.GB.title
CWT000
Explorer

Although this setting is not too logical, I now use it as the default setting on the camera. It is so easy to forget that this beast packs a 600mm (equiv) lens. Too often when I am out, I spot something and take a grab shot forgetting that I am likely to zoom up to maximum. I then find that the image is blurred because the shutter speed is too slow. I can soon switch back to selective modes when I have time to think and compose but I do now get some shots which I formerly might have missed. Hopefully, Sony will recognise the problem and fix it in a later firmware update.

CWT

profile.country.GB.title
dfm1951
Explorer

Having read the reply and possible solution I find that I have to use Manual exposure to obtain the shutter speed, in anticipation, so that I don't miss the image due to a slow shutter speed and getting blurred images. I find this negates having all the variable settings that Sony put into this camera. We seem to be paying for something that does not actually work correctly in the way we take images today.

profile.country.GB.title
CWT000
Explorer

I agree with you entirely but I use the setting (on the faster speed) as a default on MR1. THis means that if I am wandering along a river bank and suddenly spot for instance a Kingfisher. I can switch on the camera and fire away without having to set anything. The chances are that I will get an acceptable shot. If I have time to relax and compose then I would use my own settings anytime. As You say Manual + auto ISO gives you all the options at your own control.

CWT