Join now - be part of our community!

Focus while panning

SOLVED
Peadarotti
Explorer

Focus while panning

I have an AX53 comcorder for a few weeks and when I pan around on auto focus, the objects being filmed are not in focus.  It takes a split second for focus to take effect once you stop panning.  

is there some way I can speed up the camera's ability to focus.  if not I'm dumping this camera, I am very unsatisfied with it so far.  I hope it is just me and its a learning curve thing.  Any ideas ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi again Peadarotti,

I have been mistaken somewhat in my last post :thinking:

I have just uploaded some XAVC S HD footage to my computer using PlayMemories Home, I wanted to burn it to Blu-ray disc which is entirely possible but it must be down converted to AVC format first. This then must also apply to XAVC S 4K but I haven't tried it yet. I have not burned to disc so for this reason I am not sure of the final  Bit-rate. XAVC S HD mode can afford a Bit-rate of 50 Mbps which is more information than AVCHD. For example the highest quality mode for AVCHD is 28 Mbps (but at least you get 5.1ch audio).

Is it worth recording in 4K or HD using XAVC S codec or getting the best out of AVCHD on Blu-ray right now ?

I will post back with the results when I have them - perhaps it is worth recording in 4K as it will always be stored as such, one day it may be possible to burn it to disc (UHD) without down conversion.

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@Peadarotti

Hi,

Take a look at this thread https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/camcorders/fdr-ax53-xavc-s-4k-quot-jerkyness-quot/m-p/2159282#M3936

I think it may answer your question ? Unfortunately it appears that if you are recording in 4K, play back can be 'jerky' depending on your style and speed of panning, almost as if the camera cannot capture the detail quick enough. The manual does suggest the use of a tripod in 4K mode due to the frame rate settings available for this. This is not always convenient however so I now take my time and only pan or zoom slowly which helps a lot. There is also a firmware update on the Sony support site here  which improves the auto focus performance.

Hope this helps.

Regards

profile.country.HU.title
CSABA53
Explorer

Hi,

fuzziness while panning is one of the problems with this camera.

My test links:

1. AX53 Auto Face Detection and Lock-on Focus fuzziness

https://youtu.be/w2Gwk2yZJgY

1. AX53 fuzzy and judding images while panning

https://youtu.be/YM09DNBtFlA

1. AX53 Jerky movements in 4K with Strong Steady Shot

https://youtu.be/tzLHL1La81k

I'm very disappointed with this model.

I have indicated on several SONY-forums these problems, but there is NO solution, help...

Csaba

Peadarotti
Explorer

Jonnie,

downloaded the 1.01 but the camera is new so it already had the update installed.

Seems like you have to pan around very slow in order to get good definition.  This is irritating.  

I think the camera is trying to be too many things to too many people.  Sony would have been better off to have concentrated on getting the basics right and leave out some of the trivial features which are only using up space and memory.  A lot of the effects nonsense can be done at the editing stage on the computer.

The much-vaunted Boss is a good idea, but it is uncontrollable if you want to zoom in, the image bobs all over the place.

I will admit that I am still new to this camera, and I might change my mind with use.  At the moment, I doubt it.

P

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Peadarotti,

I think these are fair points that you are making - half of the effects cannot be used under certain conditions anyway so why bother at all !

I have done with 4K for now as I cannot do anything with it other than store it on hard drive. One day burning it to optical disc may be possible. I have reverted to XAVC S HD mode which can be burned to disc and played back on a standard Blu-ray player I only hope that this is not 'jerky' or out of focus also ? I am hoping that the answer lies in the PlayMemories software which creates seamless playback on disc, watching footage straight from the camera frame by frame is never good in my opinion.

Fingers crossed. 

Peadarotti
Explorer

Thanks Jonnie, 

I have used the camera a bit more over the last few days and am finding the settings that I think are best for me.  I have settled on XAVC S HD too for the same reason.  There are a lot of features which I do like, and I'll continue to learn and hopefully, in fairness to Sony, in a few weeks I'll be in a better position to offer a more informed critique.  The proof of the proverbial pudding will be in the videos that I produce - I'll keep my powder dry until then.

Thanks,

Sounds like Pavarotti,

Sound nothing like Pavarotti.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi again Peadarotti,

I have been mistaken somewhat in my last post :thinking:

I have just uploaded some XAVC S HD footage to my computer using PlayMemories Home, I wanted to burn it to Blu-ray disc which is entirely possible but it must be down converted to AVC format first. This then must also apply to XAVC S 4K but I haven't tried it yet. I have not burned to disc so for this reason I am not sure of the final  Bit-rate. XAVC S HD mode can afford a Bit-rate of 50 Mbps which is more information than AVCHD. For example the highest quality mode for AVCHD is 28 Mbps (but at least you get 5.1ch audio).

Is it worth recording in 4K or HD using XAVC S codec or getting the best out of AVCHD on Blu-ray right now ?

I will post back with the results when I have them - perhaps it is worth recording in 4K as it will always be stored as such, one day it may be possible to burn it to disc (UHD) without down conversion.

Regards