Join now - be part of our community!

Writing on USB disks impossible on Marshmallow

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Writing on USB disks impossible on Marshmallow

So, after spending fair amount of time with 625 different file managers I found out that this just does not work. Even the apps that ask for permission can't get one because we are never presented with this or something like this

choose

but file commander and other show this as a helper

help

but it leads to nowhere because the chooser from above never opens. There's no way to grant permission, it always end with some error. And the only meaningful one is from x-plorer that tells me this :

"no activity found to handle intent {act=android.intent.action.open_document_tree (has extras)}"

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Yes

Unfortunately Marshmallow v3865 is installed and there is no way back.

Solved few of my issues but raised new ones.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

About permissions

Below image shows permissions on FAT32 formatted USB 8C4B....

FAT32.PNG

and next on NTFS formatted USB D8B03....

ntfs.PNG

There is NO difference in Permissions- Attributes

For both of them are: drwxrwx--x

The different rights are on internal sdcard: lrwxrwxrwx

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

[New]

A workaround on this, is to use the Android Studio ->Android Device Monitor->File Explorer tab select storage then your SD card and press(Push a file onto the device) or Create a Folder on this.

This works fine for me even for NTFS formatted USB disk.

profile.country.NL.title
Flashlab2

@MiCal1967

If you use your workaround are writing permissions then available for other apps as well or does it only work in Android Studio?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Flashlab2

This is just for copying large files on NTFS formatted external Usb drives.

A user cannot do this except if using Android Studio or root his device, which is impossible for our TV. Have a look at this : https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/825304/Accessing-internal-data-on-Android-device

Of course every Company can add this write or read option on its device for a user at will. Also I cannot remember about what was possible in Lollipop. Maybe a member that has not Updated to 6.0 can help us.

But this has nothing to do with apps or system ability to write on those NTFS or exFAT disks.

I think that Kuschelmonschter above wrote that apps can write on NTFS with no problem:

"Sure. NTFS can also be written by apps into their respective folder. I use it for Timeshifting in Kodi"

I don't know if all apps can do so.

profile.country.NL.title
Flashlab2

In Lollipop I could write to and delete files from my USB external storage with ES Explorer and other apps.

Since Marshmallow all my apps are denied writing permission to external storage.

profile.country.BG.title
bobybc
Explorer

The same can be done with commands :

adb connect <IP address of your TV>

adb push myMovie.avi /storage/<sd card id>

profile.country.GB.title
orybarfly
Explorer

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I'm having the same problem writing to external storage devices after the upgrade to marshmallow. Furthermore, I choosed to use an external hard drive as internal memory expansion in order to move some large applications to it. The system was able to write around 4gb of various types of files (images, videos and some downloaded files) to this drive. At some point though, it stopped writing anything more to it. I tried to copy files to it from an external USB drive using the ES application, it shows that I have no permission to do that (the external hard drive and the internal tv memory are showing as one storage in ES application)

What is the meaning of having an extension of the internal memory if you are not able to write on it? Did anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a solution to this?

profile.country.IT.title
stumpjumper82
Explorer

Hi all, waiting for solution from Sony (maybe with the Nougat upg), after a big "googling week" :disappointed_relieved: I find this app that is a good temporary workaround

https://virtualhere.com/android_usb_server

Just install that app through Google Play store, then install a client on your windows/mac/linux computer

https://virtualhere.com/usb_client_software

and then you're able to reach (with Read/Write grants) the USB hard disk/key connected to the TV.

It works perfectly on my Bravia KD-43XE8096 and 4TB Usb 3.0 hard disk formatted in exFat filesystem...  :wink:

What should we do?