Join now - be part of our community!

Writing on USB disks impossible on Marshmallow

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Writing on USB disks impossible on Marshmallow

So, after spending fair amount of time with 625 different file managers I found out that this just does not work. Even the apps that ask for permission can't get one because we are never presented with this or something like this

choose

but file commander and other show this as a helper

help

but it leads to nowhere because the chooser from above never opens. There's no way to grant permission, it always end with some error. And the only meaningful one is from x-plorer that tells me this :

"no activity found to handle intent {act=android.intent.action.open_document_tree (has extras)}"

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.IT.title
hukcelmic

any news about this inconvenient ? or some alternative way ? :angry:

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Sadly, no. Two months was not enough for sony to fix this. They were busy with launching new XE models with the same bugs. :rolling_eyes:

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Did you try FAT32 and check System - Apps - Permission - App permissions - Storage - "your app" enable ?

Then reboot

Mine works ok. ES File explorer can copy a file from internal storage to external USB.

NTFS formatted USB gives an error "Copy Task failed" "unsupported operation"

I think NTFS was OK in Lollipop

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Nope. No matter what the format is or what file manager is, writing is impossible because androids built in file manager is missing.

Only apps can write in their folder (Android/XYapp) that is created automatically when you plug in the disk. But user can't grant access to any file manager to write on external disk.

profile.country.BG.title
bobybc
Explorer

Yes, i can confirm that i've tried with all supported filesystem formats and the result is the same

permission manager is missing.. or does not work at all

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

This is my DTR3.0 G2 Kingston 32GB flash drive formatted as FAT32

king.PNG

Album.apk is a System file inside device->system->app->album. I copy this by using ESFile Explorer

copy.PNG

and as you see below I past this to Kingston USB flash with no problem

paste.PNG

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

hmmmm...... Black magic then.

But even if that would work here, it's not something that I need since all my disks are NTFS since a lot of files are over 4GB.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

I know.

This is a serious issue. FAT32 and large files.

exFAT in also not accessible. Only System can add folders there too.

This means that there is something wrong with Write Permissions for specific Formats.

NTFS Deny Right Permission enabled by default.

Can you read from NTFS formatted USB HDDs ?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

MiCal1967 schrieb:

Can you read from NTFS formatted USB HDDs ?

Sure. NTFS can also be written by apps into their respective folder. I use it for Timeshifting in Kodi.

profile.country.IT.title
hukcelmic

did you have 3.865 fw installed ?