Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 55X8509C 3D Crosstalk/Ghosting Issues

mohayaz87
Explorer

Sony 55X8509C 3D Crosstalk/Ghosting Issues

Hi, I purchased this TV from Currys on 08/11/2015 and is hardly 1 month old. I also purchased two pairs of 3D glasses (TDGBT500A) from Sony UK website.

The 2D Full HD & 4K video quality is great but on some random occasions I am experiencing crosstalk/ghosting effect on 3D Videos which makes them very uncomfortable to watch.

I have tried using different HDMI cables as I am currently using HDMI Version 2.0 cables but no added effect as I also tried HDMI Version 1.4b cables.

I tried using a different 3D source i.e. Sky TV and 3D Bluray Player no difference.

I tried changing the batteries in the two pairs of 3D Glasses but no effect.

I also tried updating the TV firmware as I am currently using the latest version 5.1.1 but no added benefit.

The 3D crosstalk/ghosting is still there as it comes on at random occasions, so I am asking Sony UK to resolve this issue for me ASAP.

The TV is registered on Sony UK website in my account. 

Thank You.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Crosstalk or ghosting is a bugbear of 3D technology.  A few things to try to minimise this is:

1. Reduce the depth in the 3D setting
  2. Set the 3D glasses brightness to low
  3. Experiment with MotionFlow set to OFF
  4. Try sitting at different angles to the tv and see if one position is better or worse than another.

Cheers

mohayaz87
Explorer

Hi, Thanks for your response but I have already tried changing my viewing angle, reducing the depth and  brightness but no effect.

The only thing left to do is change the MotionFlow settings.

Will report accordingly.

Hi,

I am also seeing very extreme crosstalk. I bought my 55X8509C on 30/11/15. I've spent over an hour trying different setttings to reduce the ghosting but to no avail...

I also seem to have vertical bands of contrast/brightness difference when watching 3D signals... be it from a Blu-Ray in my PS4 or from a 3d movie on a HDD.

It renders 3d almost unwatchable. It seems to be elements which are in the back layers, in the far depth field that have it worst. Characters/action in the foreground which are most in focus don't seem as affected.

I don't have Sony glasses, I'm using Samsung SSG-3570CR borrowed from a relative, as I haven't found any TDG-BT500A in stock anywhere yet. That's the last thing I have to try, however I don't want to buy glasses at £50+ for a TV which isn't up to scratch!

I'll be heading into Currys this week to test a display model again to see if I notice the issues there.

Cheers,

Josh

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

mohayaz87 wrote

I have tried using different HDMI cables as I am currently using HDMI Version 2.0 cables but no added effect as I also tried HDMI Version 1.4b cables.

HDMI cables are not designated in this way; only HDMI devices are. Domestic HDMI cables can be standard or high speed, with Ethernet or without (so four permutations), but you can ignore the Ethernet option for all practical purposes.

So your best option is a high speed one, especially for 3D.

But the reality is that HDMI cables either work in a given usage or they don't, so if a standard cable seems to be coping at the moment, then a high speed one will introduce no observable difference.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking