Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49X8309C No subtitles are displayed when watching Movie from DLNA

3phone
Explorer

KD-49X8309C No subtitles are displayed when watching Movie from DLNA

Hello All,

Two days ago I bought a Sony KD-49X8309C UHD Android TV. I have connected it to the home provate network, but I have no subs when I am watching movies from DLNA server. Both files, the video and the sub/srt files are named the same and are located in the same folder, but no subtitles are shown. I have had older Sony TV KDL-42W650 and there was OPTIONS button where I was able to make some settings changes and also the (...) button was working. But now I can't manage to start the subs. Are there any suggestions how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Try installing Kodi from the TV play store. And then see if subtitles work.

Cheers

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Which DLNA server are you using? DLNA protocol does not support subtitles, some server may embed them in the video file (i.e. serviio). If your TV can manage the same files directly on and attached HDD you should look at your DLNA server...

3phone
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

I think it worked! At first, when I installed the App, I opened a video file where subs where the same name and the located in the same folder and subtitles did not worked, so I connected the TV with HDMI-to-HDMI cable to the Laptop. After I have watched the movie, I started the movie from the DLNA server, just for another try and it worked :D. SO, I think I need several more tries to confirm if this is the solution. Thank you for the reply!

Also may I ask what is the exact purpose of the Kodi App? I can see some folders etc. but didn't have the time to examine in details the app.

Thanks again!

3phone
Explorer

Hi rooobb,

Yes I am using Serviio as I used it with the previous Sony TV that I had and it was working perfectly. I didn't had the chance to try watching movie from a HDD, but actually the main idea behind the smartness of the TV is to use the features that make your life easier :). I think i will contunie with the test with Kodi to see if this is the solution!

Thanks!

3phone
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

I have made several tests and the odd thing is that some subtitles are working and others are not. I have compared the state of both movies and everything matches. The video and subtitle files have the same names. I have tested and changed the sub file to *.srt and *.sub didn't make any difference. I can't find the difference between the working and the none working movie. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Its been a while since ive used Serviio, but can you see if the following screenshot of options are ticked and works?

uiv2eVP.png

I believe that you can now change the subtitle character encoding.  Try adding ASCII instead of UTF-8

Cheers

3phone
Explorer

Hi,

To be honest, I didn't catch the ideawith the Kodi App at first. I thought that it si kind of codec, then I decided to open the app and get a bit more familiar with it and saw that I can use it as player and probablt 1000 more things, but I am not at that level of mastery yet :slight_smile: So what I found is that the subs are working and also there are a lot of languages as an option (probably embaded in the move itself), the disapointment came when the Bulgarian subtitles appeared, but with odd looking symbols. Unfortunately the subtitles buttos (...) does not work, I can remember there were some options in order to open Cyrilic subs, but the button is inactive. Is there another way to open some options or other feature so I can open Cyrilic subs?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Trifon

3phone
Explorer

Hi,

Ok I haev tried your proposal but unfortunately, if I enable all three options and when I try to open a video file, I receive message "File can't be opened" or something like this. So probably this is not the solution :(. I am now trying to find what is the difference between the working movie and the ones that are not working.

Regards,

Trifon