Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
ShadowBourne
Explorer

PLEASE PLEASE HELP someone. Im not sure i have ever been so frustrated. I live in the UK

My kd49x8305c (running android tv) has updated to the wrong region software (not sure which one, could be USA or the rest of EU. I have downloaded the UK version of the software onto USB but tv sais software is up to date and i have no clue how to update it. I could not find any sort of recovery mode online or anything and there is no search function on this thread. 

This is a big problem since this isn't my tv (owned by my household) and they want to be able to use YouView, All4 and ITVHub which are currently not included in whatever region software has been installed (i was using a USA DNS, however BBC iPlayer is still installed....?)

john.pringle

Afraid you will have to wait until the next firmware update which could be anytime from February to end of March Sent from my iPad
john.pringle

Forgot to add when the next update is available make sure your internet is uk based. 

cozzykim

Someone should figure out how to root these devices and install firmware via adb.

Either that or Sony should issue an update that will allow these VPN mistakes to be corrected.

MrLizard

I agree. It is completely unacceptable for a device to determine the region variant of a firmware update using nothing more than an IP address. As previously pointed out, IPv4 addresses aren't exactly being sold off as /8s any more, and what might belong to a government department or large technology company today could belong to an ISP tomorrow. Also, here's an edge case I'm sure Sony haven't thought of. I work for a large company, and sometimes I find that our internet gateway is in the UK, other times it has been in the US, other times Poland... If I was to install this TV in my office there's no telling what region it could appear to be connecting from. Using the IP to determine location is a pretty weak and ill considered strategy. This needs fixing as this will only cause more problems. Please consider this a bug.
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

The whole design and implementation of the firmware on these sets is, as I've said many times before, GROSSLY incompetent to the extent where the design team responsible - and the marketing team that no-doubt pressured them into releasing a product that wasn't even a competent prototype, really need to have their careers ended.

These sets are simply not fit for purpose; and if Sony were a company of ANY integrity, they'd have withdrawn them from the market months ago.

Unfortunately Mr Lizard were you to fall victim to Sony's incompetence with a set you'd installed in your office they would no doubt abidicate responsibility for their failures by gleefully pointing out that the warranty excludes use in a business or commercial environment!   - There is a reason why industrial suppliers will often sell a domestic item at a premium price and get away with it  - they either supply their own serviced warranty or an insurance-based warranty much as you might get with a second-hand car.

cozzykim

I hadn't thought to look before, but there's an informative thread on XDA-Devs for the Bravia Android TVs.

No one has attempted to root yet though, maybe not surprising, you wouldn't want to be the first with a £1300 brick :laughing:

Edit: Two XDA posters, esny23 and croques have had some success playing with adb, this post may show the way towards reinstalling the correct firmware:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62768643&postcount=130

Maybe a PM to croques to ask him whether this is possible?

sfj1946
Explorer

HDD Recording does not work on my KDL50W755CBAE Android TV -  and I cannot find any update????

Bar--8

Does this method work?

• Put two copies of the firmware file on the same USB stick

• One of them with the original name

• And the other one renamed as 'upgrade_uploader.pkg'.

• Then connect the USB stick to USB port 2.

• And then see if the update process will start as intended.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@sfj1946 wrote:

HDD Recording does not work on my KDL50W755CBAE Android TV -  and I cannot find any update????

Read the rest of the thread! - or at least a little of the 400+ pages of complaints!  People are (quite rightly) FURIOUS because Sony have, and continue to mis-sell these sets.  Updates have been promised (one was supposed to appear on Chistmas eve) and those promises have been broken...  Updates have come and gone with little or no significant improvement. 

These sets have multiple issues...  Not just the lack of HDD recording. There seems to be little of them that does work properly.