Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7III sensor striping shooting against light

profile.country.NO.title
Kristian-R
Explorer

Sony A7III sensor striping shooting against light

Hello.

I have discovered a really concerning problem with my Sony A7III.

The camera is really great in most ways, except for in this certain situation.

I enjoy images shot into the sun or into a flash, but here`s where the problem occurs.

There are some really nasty lines in the area around the lighter portion/flare from the sun or flash.

Often you would want the sun close to a persons face in portraits, and then the lines come across the faces and really ruin the image. This is quite bad, especially if you are shooting for a client.

This problem was adressed by DPReview and some others, but I can`t really find much information about this.

The only solutions to come around this, is via Photoshop or a computational web based program from a professor.

This really isn`t good enough.

I have also read that this phenomenon happens because of the metal masking around the pixels which gets lit up by the light. The problem seems to occur with certain lenses like the Sony FE 85 1.8 they say, but I have the same problem with my Sony FE 35 1.8. It should really not have to be the case that you should by an expensive GM lens to avoid the problem. These camera and lenses are really expensive in the first place.

Are there someone out there who has a solution to the problem, or do Sony take the cameras in exchange for another?

Thank you for answering.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.NO.title
Kristian-R
Explorer

Hello community.

I am really hoping for some good answers on this one :slight_smile:

Her is an image example if needed.

Imagine these stripes over a face. It is pretty tough to get rid of.

image.png

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Kristian-R, does it happen while shooting in sun only? Did you try to initialize the camera settings as mentioned here?

profile.country.NO.title
Kristian-R
Explorer

Hello.

I have only discovered this in straight sun.

I have not reset my camera settings, but it`s worth a try.

The explanation though, is something about the autofocus system.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Kristian-R, keep us updated with the reset outcome! You can also try to adjust the autofocus function by following this