Join now - be part of our community!

Sony a77 beeping with external microphone

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
matthutch
Visitor

Sony a77 beeping with external microphone

Hi,

I recently bought a Sony CG50 external microphone for my a77.

Now, every second or 2 i get a wierd beeping noise on my audio footage.

It happens when the LED light (for writing to mem) flickers on.

After lots of research I've been told to buy a slower sdhc card (completely illogical as i'm recording 1080p @ 50frames).

I've just got back from buying 3 different speed cards (All major branded). And NONE of them resolve the beeping.

After spending near £1500 on my setup and having to deal with this, it's quite embarassing!!

I don't know what else to do now..

Please advise!!
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hello again – there really should not be anything audible when the camera writes to the card. If the beep corresponds exactly with the memory access lamp coming on, I think it signifies a fault with either the camera or the mic, although it seems to me this must be some form of electrical interference which could only be generated by the camera.

You could try resettting the camera with the mic connected (Menu > Setup > Initialize > Reset default) but if this doesn't fix things I'd get it checked out. Use the details on this page to register for a repair.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi , welcome to the Sony Forums:smileyhappy:

Are you sure this isn't happening with focus confirmation? You can switch off the 'beep' confirmation for focus lock in setup menu 2.

Cheers

Mick

matthutch
Visitor

thanks for the reply!

i can't find that option in the menu but i'm pretty confident it's something to do with the LED memory access light.

every single time it lights up when recording, it puts a beep in the audio

here's a quick example :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MR9OggL5Bg

i make music videos for a living so i hope you can appreciate my want to get it fixed!

thanks again!

Message was edited by: matthutch

Mick2011
New

Hello again – there really should not be anything audible when the camera writes to the card. If the beep corresponds exactly with the memory access lamp coming on, I think it signifies a fault with either the camera or the mic, although it seems to me this must be some form of electrical interference which could only be generated by the camera.

You could try resettting the camera with the mic connected (Menu > Setup > Initialize > Reset default) but if this doesn't fix things I'd get it checked out. Use the details on this page to register for a repair.

Cheers

Mick