Join now - be part of our community!

A6600 Firmware issues - update suggestion

profile.country.GB.title
RonaldGoldby
New

A6600 Firmware issues - update suggestion

There are two irritating shortcomings in the firmware for this camera which ought to be pretty simple to resolve.

I find that usingthe P setting when shooting stills is unsatisfactory and best results can be obtained by switching to Manual Mode and Auto ISO.  However this leads to two issues as follows:

1:  In common with most high end SLR's Shutter speed and aperure can be adjusted by one controlon top of the camera and one on the camera back. The default setting is for the top dial (to the right of the Mode switch) to alter the Aperture and the circular dial on the camera back to adjust the Shutter Speed (the two can be interchanged by a menu setting).  While the top control is easy to adjust the same cannot be said for the rear dial because that has rocker functions as well as the rotary function.  Because of the additional rocker functions (which are easily pressed) it is all too easy, when altering the shutter speed, to, for example, press the left side of the rocker and find that the camera has unintentionally been switched from Auto ISO to a FIXED ISO value which then changes as the dial is further rotated.  Getting back to Auto ISO and selecting that takes a few moments followed by a further time lag while I try again to adjust the shutter speed.  Those time lags can make the difference between capturing a photograph and missing it.

I believe that this problem could be viratually eliminated for al but the most clumsy users if the 4-way rocker functions had a very short time delay built into them so that teh camera's reaction to rotation of the rear dial was immediate while rocker funstions needed to be depressed and held for, say, half a second before they are recognised as a rocker depress (even better if the delay were selectable in the menu!)

2:  The second issue to which I refer is dieectly associated with changes to shutter speed or aperture.  In Auto ISO first pressure on the shutter shows the value of the ISO selected by the camera according to the available light and other settings. However, removal of the finger from the shutter in order to change the aperture or shutter speed sees an immediate reversion to "AUTO" in the display.  On my Canon 7D Mk2 the ISO value selected by the camera contnues to be displayed for a second or two after the shutter button is released allowing the effect of changes in shutter speed or aperture to be immediately reflected in the ISO displayed in the viewfinder.  Once again the lack of immediacy caused by having to revert to the shutter button to see the change on the A6600 can be the difference between capturing a good photograph and missing it.  It would be a considerable advantage if he ISO value remained live for a second or two after the shutter button is releaased to effect a change in either of the other two basic settings.

Can Sony engineers please consider these two enhancements for a future firmware update to this camera (possible also relevant to others in the A6000 series of cameras?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
RonaldGoldby
New

Apologies for the numerous typos!  I hope that the sense of my post is clear. I don't see an "edit post" opportunity.

profile.country.GB.title
RonaldGoldby
New

When reviewing the camera in response to an email request from Sony I rated it down from 5 stars to 3 stars specifically because of the issues that I have highlighted in my post and which I outlined in the review.  Sony have responded with the somewhat anodyne comment that they will  "make sure to pass your feedback about the controls and the P setting through the proper channels for future consideration".  While I don't expect them to promise that the issues can be fixed it would have been helpful if the response could have said that I would be kept informed if they are.  As written, it feels like a brush-off to make it appear on the more public website as though they care about what I hope was a constructive comment and which may not have been welcomed.  I hope that I am wrong and that the "proper channels" really will be informed and possibly address the issues.

Perhaps I am too cynical 😞

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey RonaldGoldby, try contacting Sony directly with your feedback.