Join now - be part of our community!

Why does the picture count on my DSC-HX9V revert to number 1?

profile.country.en_GB.title
@8675520504024000
Visitor

Why does the picture count on my DSC-HX9V revert to number 1?

Hi,

I use my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V for taking approx 650 Lots each fortnight at my auction house, I need a running total of pictures taken ,however ,on both occasions I have used the camera the picture counter has reverted to number one. The first time I had taken 385 pictures then the counter reverted to number one, the second time I had reached 212 pictures before the counter again reverted to number one. On each occasion the file size was the same & the picture mode was the same. Any ideas on what is the cause of this happening?

10 REPLIES 10
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello and welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Can I just check one thing first of all - when you insert the memory card into a PC / Laptop, do all of the photos appear in the same folder or are they spread over different directories?

Thanks,

Simon

@8675520504024000
Visitor

Hello Simon,

All the photo's go into the same folder.

Thanks

Ral

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information - I am going to get a second opinion on this issue and I will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Thanks,

Simon

@8675520504024000
Visitor

Thanks Simon I appreciate your help

Ral.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Ral :slight_smile:

I have had some useful advice on this matter and I have been informed that the picture count will always continue from the last available image file left on the camera. Therefore, if you delete the existing photos after downloading them to a computer, the picture count will start again at '1'. If you leave the last image visible on the memory card, the picture count will continue from that point.

Thanks,

Simon

sphinxxxxx
Visitor

Hi Simon,  just butting in here, but this does not make sense.  If a new memory card is inserted the camera cannot refer to the last picture anyway.  Or am I missing the point of what you are saying?

If the menu option is set to 'file number - series' then the picture count should always continue.

@8675520504024000
Visitor

Hi Simon,

Like spinxxxx I don't follow the logic either but there again I am a bit of a numpty.  Can you explain in another way?

Regards

Ral                                              :thinking:

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello to you both :slight_smile:

Just to follow on from sphinxxxxx's valid point, Ral have you set up the camera to record file names using the instructions on this page:

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/dvimag/DSCHX9V_guide/eng/contents/08/04/06/06.html

This will ensure that the file names are saved in sequence - irrespective of whether the card has been changed or if you have downloaded photos to a PC.

Thanks,

Simon

@8675520504024000
Visitor

Hello Simon,

Not too sure if I did to be honest. I will shoot a number of pics this weekend & see what happens.

In the mean time thanks for your help - you too sphinxxxxxx

Regards

Ral