Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-HX7V camera bought in USA

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Ilovescotland
Visitor

DSC-HX7V camera bought in USA

Have shot HD video footage but having major problems trying to write to a DVD - the latest problem is that I am having to convert the footage from NTSC to PAL.  Tried already but it crashed my old laptop.  Am now trying on a better spec laptop (3Gb RAM) dual processor etc.  Hopefully this will work.  I am now wondering if I can change the setting on the camera to PAL so that in future I won't need to convert files.  I am so frustrated that I wish I hadn't bought the camera even though it has great features.  Please can anyone help me.  Kindest regards.

Also, I know there is a live chat with Sony but I can't find it.  Is there a problem with the website - I seem to be going round in circles.  Help!!

Message was edited by: Ilovescotland

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Unfortunately there's no way of switching between NTSC and PAL.

Most manufacturers make cameras for specific markets in order to comply with standards in those markets; in the US the standard is NTSC, in Europe it's PAL. You do have to be careful when buying to make sure you're getting a model specific to that region. It's not 'region protection' as such, the camera actually works in a different way.

All I can suggest is that you try a different NTSC>PAL converter, there are many around, some of them freeware. Conversion software can be a little hit-and-miss but it is just a question of finding something that works :thinking:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Ilovescotland - welcome to the Sony Forums

I am going to try and get an answer to your question as this may be down to the firmware of the camera - however I need to check whether it is updatable or not if a user wants to change the video output format from NTSC to PAL.

Thanks,

Simon

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

I have checked this once again and it would be more than just a firmware update. There are other hardware factors involved in the process.

Therefore, PC based conversion of the video files would be your best option and I see that you have already tried this. Hopefully a faster computer will bring better performance.

Thanks,

Simon

Ilovescotland
Visitor

I tried my faster laptop but to no avail.  What do I do now?  I am considering taking it back to the British equivalent shop for a refund because I won't be able to record my video files on dvd.

If anyone else has any better ideas please reply as I love the camera and its many features.

Has anyone any idea if I can set the camera to PAL video.  I have changed the country setting to London to see if this works.

Many thanks Simon for your help so far.

Lynn

Mick2011
New

Unfortunately there's no way of switching between NTSC and PAL.

Most manufacturers make cameras for specific markets in order to comply with standards in those markets; in the US the standard is NTSC, in Europe it's PAL. You do have to be careful when buying to make sure you're getting a model specific to that region. It's not 'region protection' as such, the camera actually works in a different way.

All I can suggest is that you try a different NTSC>PAL converter, there are many around, some of them freeware. Conversion software can be a little hit-and-miss but it is just a question of finding something that works :thinking:

Cheers

Mick