Join now - be part of our community!

Sony hp239a

profile.country.GB.title
Sydenham1970
Explorer

Sony hp239a

Ive got a sony hp239a stereo i would like to know when they stopped making them also what amp can you use with it plse

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Is this the Stereo you are referring to?

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-vintage-1972-sony-hp-239a-stereo-music-system-48488711.html

If so, I am curious on your question - Why do you want to know this info? 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Sydenham1970
Explorer

Because i had one before and i bought the stereo 239a off ebay and it was listed as a early 90s stereo ref the amp i was also given 2ss70 speakers with it. Which i didnt have before and in the manual for the 293a is a green booklet going on about sq system by adding the sony decoder_amplifer. Must be eary surround ?????

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Sydenham1970

Can you please reply back and confirm if the photo in the link I provided above looks the same or similar to the one you purchased off ebay?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Sydenham1970
Explorer

I cant get photo on your link keeps sending me back to forum ive checked ebay internet its def sony hp 239a thanks anyway 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Give me a couple of days and ill see if I can get your questions answered.  I have emailed one of my contacts within Sony who might be able to help.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I asked my contact the following questions, and his answers are in blue:

Q1 - When did Sony stop making this model?

In the early 70’s according to the market, likely this is from around 1972

Q2 - What AMP can you use with it?

You don’t need an amp it is a complete music centre with built in receiver, turntable and cassette deck

Q3 - He was also given 2x SS70 Speakers with this, and according to the manual he received, it was "oing on about sq system by adding the sony decoder_amplifer." and therefore he wonders whether this was 'early surround sound'?

This comes from a period when there were a variety of surround system available using 4 channels, often called quadraphonic – the Sony system was called SQ and was available via an optional decoder/amp, which plugged into the tape monitor loop usually

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Sydenham1970
Explorer

Thanks for your help thank you very much 

profile.country.GB.title
AlanJones1485
Explorer

I bought a HP239a in 1970 - from Binns at Darlington for £230 it's still in my loft - very expensive.

The correct speakers from the set are SS-210.

The amplifier you mention was an option for Quadrophonic records from that time.

It was placed to the side and followed the HP 239 shape with wood end panels.....

Alan

profile.country.GB.title
pierre7000
New

HI PLEASE WERE DO I FIND SPARE PARTS SONY HP 239-A  OR  PS 230