Join now - be part of our community!

MDR-1000X left ear NC dropping out/spiking

Tom243
New

MDR-1000X left ear NC dropping out/spiking

All in all I'm really happy wtih these headphones - they're so much better than I was expecting them to be. However, I have noticed that if I turn my head to the right, the left ear seems to drop about 20% of the noise cancelling and I can start to hear ambient drone coming in. As soon as I turn my head back, the NC is back up to full. This only affects the left ear, and only when turning my head to the right.

The other thing I have noticed is that if there is a lound sound (e.g. diesel bus pulling away, door slamming) then the NC on the left ear will overreact and play loud static rather than noise cancelling. Not sure if this is inevitable due to the nature of the ambient sound but it does seem strange that the right ear is unaffected.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I know it sounds quite pedantic but given the fact they are such a premium product I wouldn't expect these anomalies...

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have been looking at the manual for these headphones, and states the following for Noise Cancelling:

"The noise canceling function is effective in low frequency ranges such as airplanes, trains, offices, near air-conditioning, and is not as effective for higher frequencies, such as human voices."

So I would imagine that a diesel bus would also be a low frequency range (just a guess though).  It also says:

MDR-1000X - Noise Cancelling Functions.jpg

There are also two microphones (one for each ear), so im unsure on why its favouring one ear over the other - unless you have the microphone area blocked that is.

Try also turning on this "Personal Noise Cancelling Optimiser Feature"

Personal NC Optimizer

The headphones optimize the performance of noise canceling for you by analyzing the shape of your head and wearing style. The perfect personalized noise-canceling gives you the silence that you’ve never experienced.

MDR-1000X - Noise Cancelling Indicators.jpg

I have had a demonstration of these headphones - but I have no 'real world' experience.  So cannot say if this is 'normal' or not.

Cheers

TamboT
Explorer

Hi,

I have these and do not have the 'static' issue you have, this doesn't seem right.

I do get the issue when turning my head quite far round where the seal of the ear cup is slightly broken from my head but this happens in both directions not one and it only lets in some ambient noise.

My main gripe is the Bluetooth which does't pair like Bose headphones or any othet for that matter.

cheers