Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO laptop PCG

Clem2
Visitor

VAIO laptop PCG

Hello all, first time user. My friend wants to buy a second hand VAIO laptop and I am trying to find the same model on the net so I can see what it is worth. I have tried the Sony homepage and I have googled VAIO PCG and VAIO PCG4. She told me the model number was PCG 4DIM or PCG 4D1M. Has anyone ever heard of this model? Does it exist? If so, what would a second hand one be worth. If this is not an appropriate forum to ask this question, can someone please guide me as to where to go. Cheers and thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Clem2.

Welcome to Club Vaio.

The correct model number for this laptop is VGN-T2XP.

Specifications T2XP

:wink:

Clem2
Visitor

Many thanks for your quick response. No wonder I was having trouble finding it under what I was looking for. Will search second hand laptops under the model number you have given me. I would be interted to know how you knew this is the model I was looking for. Most impressive.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would be interted to know how you knew this is the model I was looking for.

Obviously too much time spent here Clem2 !!

Quite a few people read the number from the bottom of the Vaio rather than from the screen bezel. The chassis type is actually PCG 4D1M - if you Google this it will probably give a result.

:slight_smile:

Clem2
Visitor

Clem2 again. Been searching (even tried craigslist and gumtree) and only found one vaio vgn-t2xp/l (which you kindly sent the specifications for) with a broken sreen for £27 and a vaio vgn-2xp/s for £400. Can you please tell me if there is much difference between the 2xpl and the 2xps? I found a couple of reviews for the vaio vgn-2xp which gave the price at the time of review in June 2005 at around £1299 inc VAT.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Clem2,

You can change the model in the drop down box of the specifications to T2XP/S - I can't see ANY difference.

Have a look at THIS REVIEW OF T2XP from PC Pro. Looks like it cost £1,699 in May 2005.

On ebay they seem to be between £600 and £800 depending on condition:

ebay £690 T2XP/L

:wink:

BARRETTANDY
Explorer

I have Sony Vaio PCG 5J5M laptop. can I upgrade the graphics card? As when my daughter plays ROBLOX its very laggy!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Andy

Please check for the correct Vaio model on the screen surround - it will be something like VGN-CR21S.

In any event, the graphics on this series of laptops is ususlly the onboard Intel GMA X3100 which is a very basic graphics chip soldered into the motherboard. Consequently it cannot be upgraded and was not designed for gameplay.

Even back in 2008, when this model was first sold, it was not capable of running the games of that era fluently.

Sorry

:slight_frown:

BARRETTANDY
Explorer

Thanks for the reply...

oh well never mind I'm glad I asked anyway it's always good to know. I'll have to relay the info sympathetically to my daughter lol. It won't be before long, before I succumb to "I want one of those"phrases!! 

Thanjs for you help mate

andy