Join now - be part of our community!

Updated graphics drivers fo VAIO VPCSE2C5E notebooks?

Lorddundy
New

Updated graphics drivers fo VAIO VPCSE2C5E notebooks?

Hello All,

Been using my Sony Vaio VPCSE 2C5E notebook for a while now and my only problem with it is that when switched to "speed mode" (basically switching to the AMD Radeon HD 6630M video card) I often have freezes or when the AMD card crashes and the system is forced to switch back to the built in Intel HD 3000 card.

This is a big problem for me as I am often using the computer for video editing.I am on Windows 7 64 bit version and just one name to mention for example that has problems with the AMD drivers supplied by Sony is: Adobe Premier Pro CC. All software on my computer are legitimate and regularly updated. Though it can freeze using other non Adobe video editing software as well.

AMD Radeon HD 6630M drivers published on the Sony Support site are installed, version 8.862.4.4000.

This driver is well outdated: 09/07/2012.

Anybody could send me a link to an updated version that I could try install?

Of course have tried to install the drivers offered on the AMD site but the AMD Mobility Radeon™ Driver Verification Tool tells me that it cannot be installed as my computer does not have any compatible hardware.

I understand that the AMD site refers me back to the Sony Support site which has an outdated driver which is faulty.

I bought this notebook a year ago thinking that I am paying a high price for high and stable performance. Now, this issue is causing me a lot of headache and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with a solution!

Thank a lot in advance! 

8 REPLIES 8
Lorddundy
New

Sony support team, Would you be so kind as to revert? Thanks so much, regards, Andras Peter
Lorddundy
New

I wonder why is that Sony customer service does not reply to clients problems and requests. I think it is a bit far fetched idea that Sony can afford to ignore clients.

Terrible job Sony, keep it up. :smileyd_oh:

sgdavies

It does seem odd Sony Support do not monitor these forums!

Try emailing :- customersupport.en@eu.sony.com

If you find like I did very Poort support, and people who have no idea what they are doing or saying, complain to :

Cro.en@eu.sony.com

I did this and I had the MD assistant reply, and escalated me to 2nd line support which was from somwhere in the British isles, and they definettly have more of an idea  whats going on than their call centre, (Egypt?)

Lorddundy
New

Thanks for the ideas, I will definitely follow your advice.

Why does Sony have this forum at all and why they call it "Product Support" when it's totally abandoned and they basically just let the (disappointed) clients sort out their issues among themselves.

Huge black point for them that I will definitely remember when buying my next notebook.

Tags (1)
sgdavies

Sony are selling their PC business, so there wont be any more Sony laptops, so i guess this will be all of our last one from Sony.
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi Lorddundy, Sony do not usually reply to posts on this forum because this is a basically user self help forum so you should not expect a reply from Sony.

If you want an official reply then you would need to contact the Sony support team but I can guarantee they will not be able to point you in the direction of a newer graphics driver for your Vaio. Sony are notoriously bad in releasing updated graphic drivers and tend to not do so unless it is to resolve a problem they have identified.

As you have discovered the Radeon drivers on the ATI site will not install on your Vaio.

You could check out mobility modder at HardwareHeaven.com but I can say if the modded driver will work with the switching utility and you need to be aware that these modded drivers are obviously not supported by Sony so could possibly have adverse affects.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@Lorddundy wrote:

Why does Sony have this forum at all and why they call it "Product Support" when it's totally abandoned

I don't think Sony have ever clearly stated that this is a user self help forum but I was not aware that Sony refer to the community forum as Product Support! Do you have a link or can you post an image?

I wouldn't say this forum is abandoned in fact there are some dedicated users, some with the title 'Expert', who have been helping others on this forum for many years but sometimes you may have to wait for a reply because answers are usually posted in peoples free time.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

I have been buying Vaios for many years and was shocked when I heard the news of Sony selling off the Vaio business, although I must admit that they do not appear to be as well made as when I first started buying them. My first Vaio, a VGN-K series, is still working to this day perhaps I should look after it because it could be a collectors item in the future.:smileycool: