Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-AR 51J Dimm screen (not bright enough)

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
zilrakst
Explorer

Sony Vaio VGN-AR 51J Dimm screen (not bright enough)

Hi guys,

I discovered that my Sony Vaio VGN-AR51J screen looks dimm, and my eyes become sore after using it. I compared my laptop to my desktop PC and there was big difference between them, laptop screen looked very dark like yellow + grey, PC LCD sreeen was proper white.

So I checked brigtness in control panel, Screen brightness is on full. I checked advanced options, advanced power setings, well I checked everything and everything is on full brightness.

My function key F5and F6 does not working as function to ajust brightness manualy, because 2 years ago I instaled windows 7 on my laptop, but back then brightness was ok, I started to notice that laptop screen is to dimm around 2-3 months ago.

I did some search on google, and found that it might be: BACKLIGHTS, INVERTERS, LCD/INVERTER CABLE, MOTHERBOARD, SCREEN.

So if anyone had the same problem before, can you please give me some advice how to fix it or what to do.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
zilrakst
Explorer

I solved that puzzle. It was probably during sony utilities instalation, I think I missed to install some of them. So yesterday I instaled them again. Restarted. Control panel, System, Power options, then I choosed Create a power plan, choosed High Performance, next, and there is screen brightness, which was set by system for some reason to around 80%, so lifted it to 100% and screen gets much brighter.

I already looked for new LCD, was about to get it tommorow. Now I'm in 9th heaven :grin:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
zilrakst
Explorer

Does anyone have any advice?

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi you would need to search the web and try to locate a disassembly guide for your Vaio AR series or if you are not 100% sure on how to replace the parts then it may be wise to take your Vaio to reputable repairer.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi zilrakst,

it is most likely either the backlight(s) or the screen itself. Inverters usually work or don't.

Have you tried connecting an external display to the AR51J? This, if displaying as expected, would confirm a problem with the screen on the notebook.

A new screen including lamp(s) will cost well under £100.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
zilrakst
Explorer

Thanks all.

Rich912 you gave me a good idea, i conected my vaio to PC monitor, and all colours on PC monitor is ok. So it might be lcd or backlight.

As I know that lcd replacement costs 80£, how much can be for backlight replacement? Does it worth to play with it, or is it better to get new lcd screen?

I never had lcd issues, so not familiar with it.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi zilrakst,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Whether you try a backlight lamp(s) replacement or full screen only you can decide. The lamp replacement will certainly be much cheaper than a new screen with lamp(s), but if it turns out to be a screen problem then you will have wasted your money.

All I can say is that the usual cause is the backlight lamp(s).

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
zilrakst
Explorer

I solved that puzzle. It was probably during sony utilities instalation, I think I missed to install some of them. So yesterday I instaled them again. Restarted. Control panel, System, Power options, then I choosed Create a power plan, choosed High Performance, next, and there is screen brightness, which was set by system for some reason to around 80%, so lifted it to 100% and screen gets much brighter.

I already looked for new LCD, was about to get it tommorow. Now I'm in 9th heaven :grin: