Join now - be part of our community!

Screen problem with Sony Vaio VGN-AR51J

profile.country.el_GR.title
Themiis
Visitor

Screen problem with Sony Vaio VGN-AR51J

Hello, i have a laptop Sony Vaio VGN-AR51J for almost 3 years and recently i have the following problems:

Two weeks ago suddenly red and other colorfull lines were on my screen, when i was using the windows vista and also when i was running  the bios screen.In an external display or even connected with hdmi to my tv was ok. I took it for a repair to the first technisian who told me that i had to chnage the screen.Since i was not sure if he was right i took it to a second technisian who told me that it was a problem of the graphic card and needs to be changed.

When i brought it home without repairing it I have noticed that the laptop was too hot so i tryed to clean the fan without opening the laptop(i do not have the instruction manual). Then the screen stopped showing lines and was just faint,like the backlight was not working.If you turn on a lighter in front of the laptop screen you could the image of the fire like a mirror in the screen. By trying to blow outside the fan and stop some active programs and doing some updates the screen started working normally for a few days(2 or 3) again, but now again it is displaying like the back light is not working. I have to change the resolution and zoom in the characters in order to understand the letters in the screen.

Since i had 2 different opinions regarding this problem i dont know what to believe,do you have any suggestions regarding this issue that i can test. I can do any procedure that you suggest me.

Thanks a lot!!!!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well it is NOT the graphics card if an external display works OK.

So it is the screen, the inverter or the associated wiring from the motherboard to the screen/backlight.

It sounds to me like bad connections in the wiring and this should be the thing to check first.  If the wiring and the connections are OK then you will need to look more closely at the screen itself and the inverter (which provides high voltage for the backlight).

The erratic nature of the problem looks like a bad connection(s) so have the wiring checked first.

If you would like disassembly instructions, send me a PM with your email address.

:thinking:

Themiis
Visitor

Thanks for everything, i have checked the cables,everything looked ok.Now the screen is in a stable condition where it looks like the backlight is not working, it looks fade. I ordered an inverter(same model exactly) i hope it will work. If the inverter will not change anything should i replace the lcd screen or are there other options??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you shine a torch on the screen, can you see the desktop displayed dimly?  If so, it is only the backlight/Inverter at fault.

:thinking:

Themiis
Visitor

Hello finally i have received the new inverter but the result was the same, during the boot black screen was looking like blue or dark purple and still during windows you need to change the resolution in order to understand the characters . If i use any external screen everything is crystal clear. I have attached two videos where when you bout the computer instead of looking a black screen you see something like blue or purple(not in parts of the screen as it seems during the video...in the whole screen). The reason that you can recognise characters after the boot is because i have changed the resolution.Any suggestions?? Thanks!!!