Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with system clock

FinnMcCool1974
Visitor

Problem with system clock

Hi All,

I have a problem for a few weeks now with my system clock. After some investigation I've understood that the clock does not continue to run when I shutdown (or put into hibernate) the laptop. If I shut down the laptop at 7:30pm and restart it at 8pm, the clock time in windows (and in BIOS as I checked this too) still shows 7:30pm. I've been reading on some forums that this can be caused by a problem with the CMOS battery. However, I only bought my laptop 11 months ago so I'm wondering if it's possible the problem could lie elsewhere ?!?

Normally I'd bring it back to the shop as it's still under warranty, but I bought it in Ireland and am now living in Luxembourg, so this is not the easiest option anymore.

As a further question, if it should prove to be the CMOS battery that is faulty, does anybody know if it is a difficult task to change this battery myself ? I'm just wondering about it's ease of accessibility in the laptop. And also, where could I buy such a battery? I don't want to open the laptop myself before exhausting all other options.

For further information, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-AR31S which is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Lot of questions I know, but any answers would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks in Advance.
Damien

1 REPLY 1
carloscerros
Visitor

Hi FinnMcCool1974,

I recommend you to contact tech sup because this is hardware issue. Hopping your computer still in warranty Sony will repair free of charge in a couple of days.