Join now - be part of our community!

power up problem on vgn-fs195vp

ptrb111
Visitor

power up problem on vgn-fs195vp

Left my laptop in a drawer for a couple of months whilst on a tour of duty!! Came to power it up and got nothing, no lights, sound, action only a green light on the ac adapter.
Obviously i googled this problem and did all the suggestions people came up with:
hold power button down for 2mins to discharge any static and ensure it is completely off, leave it plugged in for 6hrs without/with battery attatched, change the cmos battery, open and close the lid 6 times, tap the keyboard, waggle the ac adapter plug into laptop, clean and reseat memory chips, piece of card or bubble wrap in memory slot bay, arctic silver the processor and video chips and clean and reseat the fans/cooling fins, blow dust out of fans,
i have taken out the mobo completely and reseated everything to my exacting standards, everything looks true and straight and fits snugly back together (with no screws left over ;)) i obviously ensured there was no electrostatic discharge from myself or clothing before commencing these procedures. Did manage to get it to start for approx 15mins when i did the cmos battery change, but then it shut down again and am now back to square one!!!
when it did power on, it took ages to start and seemed to be severely struggling to do anything, the cursor seemed very jerky indicating what i thought was overheating, which is when i performed the arctic silver treatments.
I am starting to wonder if, because of the lack of power, there is something wrong with the lid catch that cuts the power if it is closed, or something along those lines.
Any constructive help would be fantastic as sony esupport only suggest that my laptop needs repairing!!! oh really, you think?
Thanks
Pete :laughing:

3 REPLIES 3
Irene-plecofan
Visitor

oh dear, not much I can offer , but you do not say how old the main battery is? could it need a new battery?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ptrb111,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Are you able to check if a power supply is actually being received from the AC adaptor by the DC input port on your Vaio.?

ptrb111
Visitor

Unfortunately, I cannot test if the voltage output of the ac power supply is correct or continuous. I know that incorrect output can cause the computer to shut down, but there is absolutely nothing happening when i plug it in, not even the briefest of flashes. I have checked the micro switch on the 'lid close' mechanism and that appears unblocked and working correctly, the 'power in' socket and wiring seems ok with no damage visible. I can only assume that there is some stress damage somewhere on the motherboard due to one handed picking up! (come on, we've all done it!) Maybe there is some fuse somewhere that i can replace for a couple of pence and all will be well, and the sun will shine and peace will reign on earth for all eternity and all men will be like brothers and love will be the currency of humankind.....or not. :slight_smile: