Join now - be part of our community!

LCD Screen halo-disturbance, shall I call service?

xied75
Visitor

LCD Screen halo-disturbance, shall I call service?

Dear All,

My almost 3 years old S3XP, on the LCD screen, at the position of winxp taskbar about 3/4 from left, has a halo the shape of a half-circle, about 1cm in width. (I'm not sure is halo the right word to use, it's basically a small area that is a little bit brighter than surrounding area. The small area still display pixels fine, and it wasn't dirt on the glass.

Anyone can tell me what is it? Will it get worse? Shall I call the service?

Thanks very much!

Dong Xie

p.s. Another issue with my laptop: if I remove the battery, the BIOS goes back to default setting, does this mean the on-motherboard battery isn't working? Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dong Xie,

Difficult to imagine I'm afraid - can you post a screenshot?

In a practical sense there is little that can be done to repair an area of LCD apart from replacing the whole screen - which will be expensive. You may choose to live with it and monitor it to see if it does get worse.

On the battery issue, does the clock in the corner of the screen show the wrong time when you boot?

:thinking:

xied75
Visitor

Dear,

I've some photos here: http://www.well.ox.ac.uk/~dong/VAIO/

Regarding the battery issue, yes, if the battery was removed and re-installed, the clock lose current date and time.

Thanks for help! :smileygrin:

carloscerros
Visitor

Hi xied75,

I've seen your LCD pictures and it seems backlight issue or inverter defective => it brights more in that small part of area on your LCD. I'm afraid but if you go to Sony they will explain "LCD replacement needed to be replaced out of warranty" ...

carloscerros
Visitor

p.s. Another issue with my laptop: if I remove the battery, the BIOS goes back to default setting, does this mean the on-motherboard battery isn't working? Thanks in advance.

According this issue, battery of motherboard is death and needs to be replaced ...

xied75
Visitor

Dear all,

Just to clarify, My warranty runs out next month. I have a 3year on-site warranty for this laptop. So, what's the suggestion? Call the people?

Regarding the battery thing, it was like it from brand new.

Best regards,

dong